Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Slacking of late

Sorry about the mini-hiatus. It was not planned.

First: Man! What crappy weather we had today . . .

Second: Anyway, I was doing some preliminary thinking today about my year-end film list, which as many of you know does not actually come out until January. But what I was thinking was that I think I have seen far fewer movies this year than I have in the last couple of years. This is strange in one sense because one thing I love about living in Chicago is that I can see every movie that opens. But, I realized that I have just not been to that many movies since I moved here. For the previous two years, I saw lots of movies when they came to DeKalb, or I could drive about 30 miles to see just about every other movie I wanted to see. But now that I live where I can see them all in one city, I hardly ever go. Of course, I have reasons for not going as often, the most significant being that I have much less free time than I did before. Having a full-time job (that involves lesson planning and grading) is simply far more time consuming than grad school was. This is not to say that grad school was all free time, of course, but having a new job just takes more time. In addition, when I get home from work during the week, assuming I don't have any more work to do (which is never), I am too tired to go to a movie.

Anyway, the point is this: I need to make more time to go to the movies, because I love it, as everyone knows. So maybe I will make a year-end resolution to do just that. After all, many films have sneaked by me, not to mention the awesome ones one the way.

Some movies that I have missed are gone from theaters (In the Valley of Elah, for example). But there are a few movies that have been out for a while that I have missed as of yet, but that are still in theaters, so there is still hope:
  • American Gangster
  • The Darjeeling Limited
  • Lars and the Real Girl

I'll do what I can.

6 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

The Darjeeling Limited was fabulous. I loved the music and I laughed from beginning to end.

Side note: I have a slight obsession with Adrien Brody and he is anorexic as ever. yessss

Also, I saw Juno this weekend. Definitely recommend it. Certain movies that deal with real life circumstances have a tendency to come of corny during the "real" moments, but the way it was written and the way the characters were portrayed made it very anti-corny.

P.S. I know this is very late in response to one of your previous posts, BUT, No Country For Old Men. Amazing. Javier Bardem's voice is just perfect. I really want to have an air compressor. Very handy.

p.p.s jwjxexlx - my word verification. awkward.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Juno is near the top of my must-see list. It does not open here until this Friday.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

I always think I can see any movie with out being scared because I am a big boy now, but I could not sleep after seeing No Country For Old Men. My bed faces the two windows in my room, and the blinds are semi-transparent, so everytime a person walked by I thought my door handle was going to blow off leading to certain death. Needless to say, I made it throught the night, and every night since then, wait...ok still good.

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

Scott - I went to see No Country by myself and then I had to walk around hollywood alone at night to get to my car. Ya, it was great.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

The Darjeeling Limited was great, though I didn't see many opportunities for laughing and will never understand why Wes Anderson movies are labelled as comedies.

I had a dream the other night that Chigurh was hunting me.

Lars and the Real Girl is one of the best films of the year. I recommend making that one a high priority. Fantastic!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

Vinnie- I live 30 minutes from El Paso, so that means Javier Bardem is coming this way. He will probably go to Jaurez to get some medical care for his arm first, but then he is coming to Las Cruces.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home