Monday, November 26, 2007

If I say I am an oil man, you will agree

Now that I have seen and loved the best film of the year, I can mention the other film that I have been looking forward to for about two years: There Will Be Blood. This film technically comes out in January, but it is in "select theaters" around Christmas in order squeeze in for Oscar notice. And from what I have read, There Will Be Blood may be sure bet for Oscar notice.

Anyway, it is the latest film from Paul Thomas Anderson, writer and director of one of my favorite films of all time (Magnolia), another of my go-to films (Boogie Nights), and a brilliant and disturbing work of art (Punch-Drunk Love). Clearly, PTA knows how to make films.

There Will Be Blood will be a departure, as it is a period piece with an entirely different cast than he has used in his other films (he uses many of the same actors in all of his films). But the cast is headed by Daniel Day-Lewis, one of the greatest actors of all time. And as a special bonus, the score was composed by Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead.

Anyway, I am very excited about this movie.



8 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

what have you been reading lately mr w.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

Mr. W. I just started Slaughterhouse Five. Does it take a while to get going? I like it, but the early chapters seem a little slow.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Josh, I don't have a lot of time for leisure reading when school is in session. I am starting What is the What by Dave Eggers, though.

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Scott, the first chapters are a bit slow, but trust me, it will take off and you will not know where it is going next.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

I finished the chapter where he enters the prison camp, and is also taken aboard the flying saucer. It is starting to take off now, and I am getting into it. So it goes.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger scott w posited...

Was Eternal Flame in a major motion picture? That song is boring a hole in my brain.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Wow. Ditto to everything in this post.

Paul Dano is another reason I am really excited for this movie. I really loved him in L.I.E. and Little Miss Sunshine.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Hey Mr. W have you seen The Lives of Others? It won the 2007 best foreign film Oscar.

The German dept. had a screening tonight. It was auf Deutsch and very good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home