Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Saline conspiracies and language mix-ups

The creators of the site Overheard in New York have added a new site, Overheard at the Beach:

Girl: I'm trying to learn some Spanish before we go to Puerto Rico in May.
Guy: I took two years of French in high school, and all I can say is 'Donde esta la biblioteca.'

--Mexican restaurant, Kemah, Texas


Girl #1: We can go see the Kula botanical gardens.
Girl #2: Where on the island is it?
Girl #1, reading guidebook section: It's in flora and fauna -- I don't know where that is.
Girl #2: Um... Flora and fauna means plants and animals, it isn't a place on the map.
Girl #1: Well, I don't speak Hawaiian so how was I supposed to know?

--Kihei, Maui, Hawaii

Blonde: Why is the water so much saltier on this coast? They really need to stop putting all their extra salt in the water.
Dude: Extra salt?
Blonde: Yeah, isn't that what the government does -- just dumps the barrels of extra salt into the water?

--Daytona Beach, Florida


Little boy: Dad, why does that girl have her swim suit straps down like that?
Dad: So she doesn't get tan lines on her shoulders. Yup, if your mom had those I never would've married her.

--Maui, Hawaii


Woman: I'm starving! Let's go get something at Burger King.
Friend: So am I. Hey, did you know that Burger King sells veggie burgers? I just found that out the other day.
Woman: Really? Veggie burgers? What do they use? Like, turkey?

--Panama City Beach, Florida

6 Comments:

At 5:53 PM, Blogger Pammy posited...

Damn. Swimsuit strap lines are a dealbreaker for me, too.

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

i'm wondering just how many of these are a) made up or b) misunderstood (or) bad jokes

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Aww yeah, the salty sea is a government conspiracy.

Wait, did I spell conspiracy right? Does it really end in the word "piracy"?

I play too much Illuminati to not know this.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

the dad's comment had me laughing for a while.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Hey dub what was that poem we read in class that one time that had the line "pure and simple every time" or some such drivel?

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Max, that was actually a song called "Pure" by the Lightning Seeds, but since it is chock-full of figurative language, it worked well. Anyway, the songwriter is Ian Broudie, and you can find the lyrics here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home