Tuesday, January 09, 2007

And all the stars were crashing round

The Best Albums of 2006

First, here are some honorable mentions which I thoroughly enjoyed last year:
  • Ringleader of the Tormentors by Morrissey
  • Supernature by Goldfrapp
  • FutureSex/LoveSounds by Justin Timberlake
  • Love by The Beatles
  • Sam's Town by The Killers
  • The Eraser by Thom Yorke
  • Mr. Beast by Mogwai
  • And a special note should be made about The RiverRun Project by Underworld. This was a series of three online-released EPs, starting in 2005 and ending in 2006. This collection of music is top-notch Underworld, but since it spanned two years, I did not think it could go on my list.

Now, on with the list:

The Top 14 Albums of 2006

14. At War with the Mystics by The Flaming Lips

13. Comfort of Strangers by Beth Orton

12. Eyes Open by Snow Patrol

11. I am Not Afraid of You, and I Will Beat Your Ass by Yo La Tengo

10. The Information by Beck

9. So This Is Goodbye by Junior Boys

8. Ta-Dah by Scissor Sisters

7. Fundamental by Pet Shop Boys

6. Crazy Itch Radio by Basement Jaxx

5. Fosbury by Tahiti 80

4. The Life Pursuit by Belle & Sebastian

3. The Warning by Hot Chip

2. The Avalanche by Sufjan Stevens

1. The Crane Wife by The Decemberists

The first and second place albums are the same artists as last year's list. Only one artist (Hot Chip) was new to me this year, and the list seems much dancier than last year's list, and fairly mainstream here and there. Oh well. It was a very good year.

9 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger Jake posited...

As usual, our lists have many albums in common.

And I was similarly conflicted about RiverRun, though my favorite of the three discs (I'm a Big Sister, and I'm a Girl, and I'm a Princess, and This Is My Horse) was released in 2006.

It's funny: even though this is their most epic and ambitious work to date, I still have trouble thinking of it as a "proper" release. It's hard to disabuse myself of the CD paradigm, I suppose.

I also have a 3-hr live set in Tokyo that I should send your way.

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

That previous comment was me.

I kind of hate Blogger Beta.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Kelsi posited...

My two current favorite CDs are "Eyes Open" and "Sam's Town". They're amazing.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

the life pursuit is a pretty great album

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

also i've spun the hot chip once or twice while playing video games

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

I thought "The Information" was a major disappointment. Then again, it's Beck, so his bar is set ridiculously high.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I quite like it. I do not think it is anywhere near his best, but I like that it combines the peppy fun Beck with the more morose Sea Change-era Beck.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Jake - yes please on the Tokyo set.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

This is a good list, my one complaint (which I must make) is that The Beatles are relegated to the honorable mention list. But...woot for the Decemberists (and Sufjan Stevens)!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home