Monday, January 08, 2007

As the sound of the playgrounds faded . . .

I saw a wee slew of films over break, some of which are likely to make my Best of 2006 list (which will be coming in the next few weeks, since I still want to try to see a few more).


For Your Consideration - As most people know, I love the films of Christopher Guest. Waiting for Guffman is one of my all-time favorites, and Best in Show is also way up on the funny list. He gets such hilarious performances from his cast. For Your Consideration, however, was a bit of a letdown. There are many very funny moments, and Catherine O'Hara completely steals the show, as she often does. Perhaps due to the non-mockumentary format, something was just missing. I liked it, but I did not love it.



Little Children - Little Children is a strange, disturbing, and darkly funny drama about extramarital affairs and sex offenders. Kate Winslet is one of the best actresses alive, and she does a wonderful job here as a bored housewife who reaches outside of her comfort zone. Patrick Wilson is excellent as the trophy dad who needs something more. Jackie Earle Haley (whom I remember from his Bad News Bears child star days) gives a chilling supporting performance. Writer/director Todd Field provides a masterful touch, especially with the bizarre nature-show voiceover. This movie is creepy and a bit American Beauty-esque. It is very good.



Children of Men - Clive Owen gives a wonderful performance, but the true star of this film is director Alfonso CuarĂ³n, whose vision of a dystopic world is dark and beautiful. The plot revolves around a group of resistance fighters trying to protect a pregnant woman--the first woman to get pregnant in 20 years. The world is controlled by oppressive governments, and the human race is dying. Children of Men is violent and even shocking at times, but it is ultimately a film of great beauty. I loved it.



Blood Diamond - I have been wanting to see Blood Diamond for a long time, and I finally saw it last night. I have read some reviews that were critical of it, but I thought it was amazing. The film has many emotionally powerful moments, and the overall ideas of the film are important and very sad. Some of the battle scenes, as well as the training of the child soldiers, are heartbreaking. Djimon Hounsou is always great, but I thought that Leonardo DiCaprio was brilliant. From his spot-on accent to his character's well-masked sadness, this is once of DiCaprio's best performances. He deserves both Golden Globe nominations this year (for The Departed as well), and both he and Hounsou should get Oscar nominations.

3 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I'll have to try to see Children of Men before I head back to the cities. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Jason posited...

Two thumbs up to Leo.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

It's very sad that I've only seen Children of Men so far, but I did really really enjoy it. I'm still a bit upset about how much of a douchebag Luke was.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home