Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"There was a car in the bay by the boat that swept and swayed"

The new Sufjan Stevens album, The Avalanche, came out today. I should not really say it is a "new" album since it is all outtakes and B-sides from Illinois. (For an official description of the album, read this.) But since Illinois is such a great album, the outtakes are bound to be great, right? On first listen, I'd say yes. There are some bizarre moments, to be sure, as well as some instrumental filler, but I am quite impressed that these songs are outtakes.
Anyway, like I said, I have only listened to the album once, so these are first impressions only, but here are some highlights:
  • 3 versions of "Chicago," one of the great songs of our time
  • "Avalanche" is lovely, melodic, and banjoey
  • "Dear Mr. Supercomputer" starts all synthy and cacophonous, leading into a staccato choir of joy
  • "Adlai Stevenson" is simply a horntastic celebration of horns, with lyrics such as "Adlai, Adlai, what did you say, and what is the answer?"
  • "The Mistress Witch from McClure (Or, the Mind That Knows Itself)" -- For some reason, I find that making "Oh my God" a central lyric in this song makes for a powerful and sad statement.
  • "No Man's Land," which is peppy, bright, flute-filled, and hand-clap-infused, still somehow manages to evoke a characteristic sadness. This is one of my favorites so far.
  • Another sorrowful song, "The Pick-Up," is a pure and simple Sufjan & chorus number
  • A more experimental song, "The Perpetual Self, or What Would Saul Alinsky Do?" includes bizarre percussion and a plucky electric guitar. And a xylophone of course.
  • "Pittsfield" is gorgeous and mournful and sublime. And gorgeous.

The Avalanche is not as immediately satisfying as Illinois, but it is a nice Pinot Noir to go with that great meal.

8 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

i really like the Chevy Avalanche on the cover. brilliant.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, plus he's sprinkling pixie dust.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And I'm pretty sure that is Carl Sandburg in the background. It could be Pee Wee Herman, but I think Sandburg makes more sense.

"Paging Mr. Herman, Mr. P.W. Herman."

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Carson posited...

What a coincidence. I just downloaded this album and the Illinoise album on ITunes two days ago. I just love them.

I was lucky enough to get into a free preview screening of "Little Miss Sunshine" here in Minneapolis, and it prominantly featured the song "Chicago".

I also downloaded the films soundtrack which is fantastic. There are some DeVotchKa songs, some short instrumental scores, Chicago, and a Rick James tune.

By the way, Dub... you must see that movie! It is really really good. Best comedy this year. No contest. Ties with Brick for best film this year (at least in my opinion).

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Carson posited...

Oops, meant to say I downloaded them yesterday. I saw the movie two days ago.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=61::67KP

i cant stand sufjan

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

JC, I will definitely be seeing that ovie. Ever since I saw the preview a couple of months ago, I have been excited for it. And the preview has both Sufjan and The Flaming Lips, so that is reason enough!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Kelsi posited...

The title of this post reminds me of the story you told our Pre-Ap class about your Canadian/Minnesotan friend that you would get really drunk and have him say "Sorry about your boat."
Good times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home