Thursday, January 12, 2006

The first of the lists

Here is my off-the-cuff list of my Top 12 favorite albums of 2005 (12 is a random number, I realize):

12. Tales from the Turnpike House - St. Etienne
More tongue-in-cheek poppiness from the masters

11. Some Cities - Doves
"Black and White Town" makes the cut on the best songs of the year list

10. Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
An aural extravaganza of mood

9. The Understanding - Royksopp
Norwegian dance at its most fun

8. Push the Button - The Chemical Brothers
Big. Heavy. Marvo Ging.

7. Thunder, Lightning, Crash - The Go! Team
Like a gooey piece of candy, but for your ears

6. Set Yourself on Fire - Stars
The Canadians are coming!

5. X&Y - Coldplay
I guess this makes me trendy. I might as well be wearing a LiveStrong bracelet.

4. Plans - Death Cab for Cutie
This album has grown and grown on me

3. Hello, Dear Wind - Page France
Glorious, melodic, Jesusy

2. Illinois - Sufjan Stevens
A glittering gem in the coal bin of music

1. Picaresque - The Decemberists
No explanation necessary

How trendily charming.

For a much more indie-friendly (and far more literately written) list, please check out my friend Jake's list. I defer to and am humbled by his indieness.

9 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

You should check out Animal Collective.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I wish I was that indie.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger matt posited...

i own six of the albums listed, including your top five. your good taste did indeed rub off on me

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

Owning is different than actually listening to, Capelle.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Hi Kelsey. Thanks! I miss everyone there too, but college is going very well.
Stop by again.

JV (and Steph) -- I guess my list is kind of indie, except for a couple. But I just like what I like, so that's good I guess.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Music is music for the most part.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

but, i mean, aren't bands either indie or not indie? technically, i dont think that there are varying degrees of indieness...

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

True, Tom. But I was concerned about the "indieness" of the list as a whole (and thus the indieness of me as a person, and thus my worth as a human being), not of indivdual groups.

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I'm glad to hear that college is going well. I'll make sure to visit often, it's nice that I'll be able to find some way to get ahold of you, if I need any help with life. Haha, I'm sure I'll be back soon. By the way I moved out of my house:) I'm so excited about everything that's going on right now. It's great! Just keeping you updated :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home