Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Hear all the bombs that fade away

With today's post, my 300th blog entry, I join an elite league, The 300 Club. Some members include:

  • Cy Young
  • Christy Mathewson
  • Warren Spahn
  • Pud Galvin
  • Roger Clemons
  • Greg Maddux
  • Steve Carlton
  • Nolan Ryan
  • Phil Niekro
  • Gaylord Perry
  • Tom Seaver
  • I Charge Laughing

On with the post . . .



The new album from The Decemberists, The Crane Wife, came out today, so I purchased it immediately.


After two listens, I can declare with certainty that The Crane Wife is a beautiful album, full of old familiar Decemberists and new & fun Decemberists. In general, the album seems to have a more driving sound -- from the wonderful drums of the opening track, "The Crane Wife 3," to the dominant bass line of the sumptuous "Sons & Daughters."

The album marks the major label debut for the group, so many were afraid of the whole "sell-out" thing. Put your fears to rest. The great new directions that the band takes on tracks such as "The Perfect Crime #2" (which has kind of a 70s guitar-based feel to it, with delicious results) are not exactly commercially aimed changes. Two songs, "The Island" and "The Crane Wife 1 & 2" are epic Tainesque numbers full of complexity and oddness. But for the purists, some tracks are simply vintage Decemberists, such as "Shankhill Butchers" and "Yankee Bayonet."

Going on three listens now, I have a few favorites: "The Crane Wife 3," "O Valencia," and "The Perfect Crime #2." But "Sons and Daughters," with its stirring harmonies, subtle accordian, and lovely singalong, has quickly become one of my favorite Decemberists' songs ever.

The Decemberists have evolved a bit. But change sounds wonderful.

17 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

Crane Wife is my favorite Decemberists record yet.

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

ive been listening to this album all week, and had no idea it was so new... but yeah, i like it a lot. crane wife 3 is my fav, sons and duaghters a close second, and gaining ground fast...

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

(I'm not entirely a saint when it comes to downloading music, but I do try. But for bands I really like a lot, especially lesser known bands, I always buy the music. The point is, yes I realize I could have been listening to this album for a long time. I even thought about downloading it illegaly and then paying for it when it came out [whic lots of people CLAIM they do] but somehow waiting until it was offically released made the experience all the more enjoyable for me. I have weird quirks like this.)

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

heh, subtle accordion.

And dub, just wait until you join the 400 club. It's nice--trust me.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

I actually bought this one, too. I got some "Reward Zone" certificates in the mail for Best Buy totaling $20, so I got the new Decemberists and Bonnie "Prince" Billy albums. Both are amazing, but I think I like BPB's ("The Letting Go") a little better.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I like the parentheses. They made me feel like you were confiding in me, letting me in on your downloading habits.

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

(Hey Jason, I like to fuck cats.





This is capelle by the way.)

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

try the 2000 club guys

then you're talkin'

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger matt posited...

i would like to point out that the previous comment was, in fact, not made by me. had i made such a statement, i would have been so bold to do so personally.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Somehow I feel that the number of posts becomes less impressive when a blog has 37 contributors and the blog has 7 one-line posts per day.

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

if by "weird" quirks, you mean "noble" quirks, then yes, you do. unfortunately, not only has downloading music become a habit, but at this point in my life i literally have trouble scraping enough money together to eat, so buying albums is a luxury that i cannot afford. besides, part of the reason that i am so broke is that i spend all my extra money on concerts of underground metal/ hip hop/ other bands, so i still help them out...

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Capelle: Of course the previous comment wasn't made by you. That was josh's. But the one right before that....

Dub: Mustache posts are generally a bit more substansial than WTITYB posts.

Generally.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

And IHOB posts (generally) just suck.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

brevity is the soul of wit. to use a comparison i'm not sure i understand, call wtity the hemingway of blogs

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

I like how he got the acronym for his own blog wrong (WTITYB)

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Well, short sentences and brevity are not the same thing.
But in fairness, you did say you were saying something you did not understand.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

hukriede, it was an abbreviation. i know you get off jumping on other's spelling and grammar errors, but i know the acronym.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home