Friday, February 03, 2006

Blinded by the light

Last night, I had trouble falling asleep, as I often do. I went to bed around 1:00, and then read for about an hour. So a little after 2:00, I turned out the light. I started falling asleep, but then all of a sudden, my building started making a bunch of noise. The building's utility room is adjacent to my apartment, and it sounded like a very loud flushing toilet for about 20 minutes. So I must have finally fallen asleep at about 2:30.
Then I heard a loud knock on my door. I thought I must be dreaming, but I was now awake. I looked at the clock: 3:45 a.m.
I was a little freaked out, and I still was not sure I had actually heard the knock. So, I quietly worked my way to the door,without turning on any lights. I looked through the fisheye, and a police officer was standing there.
I was just in my boxers and a t-shirt, so I didn't want to open the door, so I went back to my room to get on my pajama bottoms. The whole time, I was trying to figure out why there was a cop at my door at 3:45 in the morning. Then he knocked again.
Now you must remember that I had only recently fallen asleep, and I think I had been in the beginnings of REM sleep, so I was a bit groggy still. But here are the things that went through my mind:
One of my friends is dead. They must have been in a car crash. No, that makes no sense. Why would a cop come to my door for that? They wouldn't know to come here. Was it something I did? Have I broken the law?
And then, here is what actually went through my mind:
It is something from my blog. The NSA is spying on me. It's because in my post about Belle and Sebastian tickets, I mentioned delivering a pipebomb. The government thinks I am a terrorist. No, that can't be it. They would not send the DeKalb police for that. The FBI would be here.

By now, I was back to the door, and so I opened it up. I forgot that there is a very bright porch light out my door, so I was immediately blinded. But I could see this short little man who was about 25 years old standing in front of me.
"Yes?" I said.
"Sorry to wake you sir," said the officer. "Do you know a Curtis C-----?" (I think that was the name.)
"I'm sorry, a Curtis who?" I said.
"C-----. Curtis C-----. Do you know a Curtis C-----?"
I shook my head, still a bit iris-impaired. "No, sorry."
The police officer wanted me to confirm it. "You don't know a Curtis C-----? The Mendota Police Department called us and told us we needed to come here." (Mendota is a small town about 30 miles away.)
"No, sorry. I don't know that person."
"Well, how long have you lived in this apartment," he asked.
"Since August," I said.
"Since August?"
"Yes, since August."
"I see." He paused. He tapped his giant MagLite a few times into the palm of his hand. "OK, sir. Sorry to wake you." He walked away.

I did not get back to sleep for another hour, around 5:00 a.m.


----------------------------------------------------
For fun reading, here are some music news tidbits:
The A.V. Club has a fun interview with Stuart Murdoch about the new Belle and Sebastian album.
According to Pitchfork Media, Belle and Sebastian are becoming a comic book.
Pitchfork Media also tells us that Death Cab for Cutie and Franz Ferdinand are going on tour together.

6 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

That's pretty crazy Wanninger. Maybe he was part of some mob/gang and he burried someone in your apt.
Yep, that is probably the best explanation. Wow, aren't you glad you have me here to figure this kinda stuff out?

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Scarily enough I've thought that if the US government is monitoring my blog, then I will surely be arrested or somthing when I get back, because I'm such a traitor you know.

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

D-amnnnnn.

Too bad about the sleep. I rate that as by far the worst part.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

So the guy wasn't coming about the blog?

uh...

you might want to keep a watch out then... I DID kinda freak out reading about that pipe bomb... might've made a few unwarranted phone calls...

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Well, unwarranted seems to be the trend these days, so after they bust me, they might call you and offer you a job.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger matt posited...

death cab and franz ferdinand will be in the cities april 20th

 

Post a Comment

<< Home