Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Bad Day/Good Day

First . . .


"Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater
more than it injures the hated."

Coretta Scott King
1927 - 2006

Coretta Scott King founded the King Center for Nonviolent Social Change to continue the work of Martin Luther King, Jr., and she, more than any other civil rights leader, recognized the connections between different types of prejudice. She fought to end discrimination based on race, gender, religion, socio-economic status, and sexual orientation. She wanted to carry on her husband's idea that "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

----------------------------------------------
Now . . .

Of course the Oscar nominations came out today. See the complete list. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for my Top 10 list, as well as my Oscar predictions. But for now, I have some thoughts to share about the nominations:
  • For the first time, I have already seen all five Best Picture Nominees. In some years, I have seen them all before the actual Oscar ceremony, but never before the nominations are announced. So I feel pretty good about that.
  • Not only have I seen all five Best Picture nominees, I have written about them all on my blog: Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Good Night and Good Luck, Crash, and Munich
  • People are upset that Walk the Line was not nominated for Best Picture. I loved this movie, but I thought it was more about performances, and both of those performances were nominated. Personally, I am more upset that Syriana and The Constant Gardener were not nominated than I am about Walk the Line, but I realize that they can only nominate five films.
  • George Clooney is, in fact, the man. Nominations for Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Director, plus his movie is nominated for Best Picture. (I know in my review of Good Night, and Good Luck I predicted he would win for Best Director. I no longer think that he is going to win, but I got the nomination right anyway. This is an amazing movie.)
  • The fact that I could easily replace several of the Best Picture nominees with other movies but that I am still very happy with the nominees shows what an amazing year for movies 2005 was.

13 Comments:

At 4:18 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I just hope that Brokeback Mountain doesn't win just because it has a homosexual relationship in it.

In other words, I'm all for Munich.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

i find it tantalizing that a song called "It's hard out here for a pimp" got nominated for an oscar. society really is coming around...

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, between homo cowboys, a homo author, a trannsexual dad, "pro-commie" reporters, anti-American (read "oil") propaganda, and drug-dealing pimps, the religious right should have a heyday with this year's ceremony.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Pat Robertson's hosting, no?

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

woot for Munich!!

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

All I'm gonna say is that the Notebook didn't win any Oscars. Although the acting in Brokeback is unquestionably better... and the direction and everything else, to me, it lacks something that really sets it apart.

I think Syriana had that in its side story about the suicide bombers. Now, if only Syriana was up for best picture...

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

You cannot compare those two movies, John.
Plenty of love stories have won the Best Picture Oscar -- you just happen to not like love stories.

But I also think that if a movie is beautifully directed, flawlessly acted, brilliantly photgraphed, and wonderfully written, AND it happens to be revolutionary, then it probably deserves to be rewarded.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

But I do understand what you are saying. Brokeback is not my #1 movie of the year either. But I did love it, and I will not be upset if it wins. It is a great movie ot of many great movies, all of which could win and I'd be happy.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Maybe I just couldn't connect with what was going on in Brokeback. I don't know. I can appreciate all the individual elements of it, I just don't really like the end result that much. It didn't quite strike a chord within me.

I'm not going to say I think its a bad movie, because I don't, I just liked other movies more.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

I am still in shock that "The Aristocrats" wasn't put up for "Best Picture." I watched it for the first time last night (it only played in like 10 theatres, so I had to wait for it come out on DVD) and I didn't stop laughing the entire time. Good times, especially during Bob Saget's joke.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Hillstorm posited...

Um, John, you've never even seen The Notebook...

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

So? Is there some law against using examples I have actually never seen? It's my fallback love story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home