Friday, January 27, 2006

A chemical reaction, hysterical and useless

Some more songs from days gone by that I have rediscovered thanks to my iPod:


"Far Gone and Out" by The Jesus and Mary Chain

The Jesus and Mary Chain are all about guitars and sex, and if you put the Beach Boys (early period) on heroin and electricity, they might sound like this. I love many of their songs -- "Head On"; "Coast to Coast"; "Reverence" -- but "Far Gone and Out" is my favorite because of its pure pop simplicity and its rocking rockiness.

She’s dressed in black

A black that ends in nowhere
and I just got to have her back



"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" by The Pogues
The Pogues are something everyone has to experience. I will be writing one of my band posts about them sometime in the future. They are a bunch of extremely talented Irish musicians, playing traditional Irish music, with accordians, tin whistles, etc., but the lead singer, Shane McGowan, is a former punk singer who is a drunken lout. He is drunk when he sings, he's drunk when he sleeps. Anyway, The Pogues are amazingly fun. ""Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" is one of those non-album tracks that I used to have on a mix tape, but now that it is on my iPod, I can hear it all the time. It is goofy, goofy fun.



"Electioneering" and "Let Down" by Radiohead

I love everything about Radiohead. Some of you will remember that when we did the play 1984, Radiohead songs formed the whole soundtrack. My copy of OK Computer, one of the great albums of our time, was destroyed when my dog (R.I.P., Hawkeye) took up the habit of "digging." Before he would lie down, he would run his claws in a digging/scratching motion about 20 times on the floor. I don't know why he did this. Anyway, apparently OK Computer had fallen off of my coffee table, and Hawkeye dug it to death. And for some reason, I never replaced the cd. But now . . . oh, now all is right with the universe again.


Riot shields Voodoo economics
It's just business

Cattle prods and the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote

9 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

You had a dog named Hawkeye? What happened to him?

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I can't tell (or remember) if this this is a sarcastic question, because I have told many classes about Hawkeye dying. But anyway, my dog died of old age (13) three Christmases ago.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I faintly remember you mentioning a dog, but thats all I can remember. Maybe you told us and I have just forgotten.

For the yearbook top 10 academic seniors I had to submit my favorite high school moment. All I'm going to say is that it occured in your class and involved Tay... and a certain "Christine."

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

JV -- Leave some details of the story to the imagination. Some people might not like it if it is printed in the yearbook that Teacher A asked a student if Teacher B was the student's lover -- or even "lova."
(And by some people I mean administration, parents, etc. Some precious classroom moments don't translate as well out of context!)

But yes, that was quite a day.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Alicia -- thanks. Those vet bastards . . .

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

I have always been a pretty big fan of Radiohead, but I fell back in love with them when I first heard Christopher O'Riley's CD "True Love Waits" where he plays their songs solo on piano.

Paranoid Android has always been my favorite song on OK Computer.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

a bunch of OK Computer is influenced by Hitchhiker's Guide

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Basically all I mention is you asking Tay about "His lova." I considered that, don't worry.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks. I am laughing just thinking of it right now.
In fact, in memory of that class period, I am going to go try to punch a hole in my wall right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home