Thursday, September 22, 2005

You think you know who you are

Here is a movie recommendation:

I just finished watching the movie Crash, which is now out on DVD. I cannot recommend it enough. This is a movie of powerful, thought-provoking dimensions, and it also happens to be beautifully filmed and acted.

Crash is written and directed by Paul Haggis, who also wrote the script for Million Dollar Baby, and it tells interlocking stories of racism and prejudice. One powerful aspect of the movie shows that all people, no matter who they are, are guilty of prejudice, and that prejudiced people can also be good people in other ways. The movie features powerful performances by Matt Dillon, Don Cheadle, Ryan Philippe, and many others.

After watching it, I am more a less a swirling ball of emotions. I cried a few times during the movie; I also sat on the edge of my seat; and once or twice my breath was taken away.

Crash is one of the year's best movies, and I expect to see it reappear at Oscar time.

-----------------

I am excited to be going out of town for a couple of days to visit a couple of friends. I leave tomorrow afternoon. Then when I come home, I have to study for my first test! It has been a long time since I took a test for school. We'll see what happens...

11 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger "Jackie" posited...

some of my friends here told me about that movie. i ate dinner with them the night it came out on dvd and it was seriously ALL that they talked about...and I haven't heard ANYTHING bad about it. it is definitely going on my "to see," list.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger CM posited...

Back out the way!
Ludacris is definitly the man

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger matt posited...

back out the way????

derby, you just added yourself to the list of extremely white people: pk, henke, myself, and now you. dont worry, however. this is not fatal or something to be ashamed of.

p.s. its "get out the way."

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Come on, Matt. You all, Chris included, are clearly pimpin' all of the world.
ROLL OUT!

Clearly.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

It's good to know I didn't make the list of extremely white people despite extremely white karaoke rap performances.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger matt posited...

erik, as the pioneer for the mad-white people in brainerd, you were just assumed to be on the list.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Tay posited...

my two cents: jason houle is black. he rocks the world of music as only a non-white person can.

wanninger, do you have an e-mail address? i need to write to you about something but i kinda don't want to publish it to the world. (ok, to be honest and to clear up any confusion, the subject is a matter that is fairly widely known as a source of my frustration"

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Jason Houle is very white. He has a white man 'fro.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Tay -- you can email me anytime (and so can the rest of you, I guess.)
johnwann@comcast.net

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

he sings john cougar mellencamp songs. and he sings them well. that automatically secures his whiteness for decades to come.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Wow, a secret conversation about my race that I didn't know about. My day now has purpose.

Bryce watched "Crash" and tried to explain it, but as he explained it it seemed to be 12 hours long and full of nameless white, black, and hispanic people that intertwine and screw each other over. I wanna see it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home