Sunday, January 15, 2006

Slippery Slope

I just saw Steven Spielberg's Munich, which was brilliant. It is a complicated, disturbing, and gripping treatise on the complex nature of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and on the devastating and dehumanizing nature of revenge. Eric Bana gives a powerful performance, and Munich is definitely one the best pictures of the year. It also highlights why Spielberg is a master. He can make one of the biggest blockbuster fun movies (War of the Worlds) and in the same year can make Munich. He did the same when he made Jurassic Park and Schindler's List. He's a true genius.



Elsewhere . . .
I'm sorry, but this just makes me laugh:
There are SBA loans for this. And I understand for some the word SBA means Slow Bureaucratic Paperwork. I hear it loud and clear.
-- G.W.B., Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, Jan. 12, 2006

I shouldn't make fun. Abbreviations are hard.

10 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger CM posited...

the series about Gabriel Allon,by Daniel Silva-all are based about the assassin from the munich massacre.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Bush was simply satirizing those sorry people that don't know that "paperwork" doesn't begin with an "A." That's all.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

You're right. I keep forgetting his adeptness at wit and satire.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

George Bush. The heir of Joseph Addison.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

id say he's more of a jonathan swift

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Uggg c'mon guys.

Honestly Dub, you've come up with better ones than this. An SBA inherently implies government regulations and that does mean lots of red tape and paperwork.

SBA --> Slow Bureaucratic Paperwork. Well guess what, that's probably accurate. It would have been clearer if he had just said "loads of craptastic red tape" but I doubt a POTUS gets to say such vulgar things.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

If Dick can say "fuck you" on the floor of the Senate than George can say "craptastic"

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Carson posited...

Cheney didn't just say "fuck you" on the Senate floor. He told Senator Leahy to "go fuck himself."

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Parker -- No one is questioning whether the SBA loans actually involve red tape and bureaucracy. But Slow Bureaucratic Paperwork would be SBP, not SBA. Since he obviuosly started with S-low B-ureaucratic, he was clearly trying to make a pun.
Now nothing would be lost if he had just not tried to be funny, by saying something like "To many of you, SBA means red tape and bureaucracy." We would have know that he was just redefining it. But since he said "the word SBA" and his quip started with S & B, it is obvious he messed up. He could have said "Slow Bureaucratic Aggravation" or something else, but he didn't.
I think you missed the point, and I feel a little goofy having to explain it.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Hang on, I have these books that teach me my letters. I'm going to go fetch them and read this post over again.

I just remember that that "Q" is a trickster. Dang I hate him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home