Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Think less but see it grow

The Best Albums of 2009

I have to say before I start my list, that I have a lotof albums from 2009 that I have not given their fair due, and I know that if I were to spend a little time with them, these albums might make my list. But as Donald Rumsfeld said, we make our rankings with the list we have, not the list we wish we had.

15. Eels - Hombre Lobo
14. Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
13. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
12. Röyksopp - Junior
11. Moby - Wait for Me
10. Jason Lytle- Yours Truly, The Commuter
9. Owl City - Ocean Eyes* (please see comments for additional info)
8. Basement Jaxx - Scars
7. Miike Snow- Miike Snow
6. Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
5. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
4. Trashcan Sinatras - In the Music
3. The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
2. Pet Shop Boys - Yes
1. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix



This is a very odd mix. And I need to do a better job at blogging my record reviews. Four albums out of a list of fifteen? Unacceptable.

4 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

10) Wolves in the Throne Room - "Black Cascade"
9) Phantom Band - "Checkmate Savage"
8) Phoenix - "Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix"
7) Converge - "Axe to Fall"
6) Kurt Vile - "Childish Prodigy"
5) Flaming Lips - "Embryonic"
4) Raekwon - "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II"
3) Animal Collective - "Merriweather ...Post Pavilion" and "Fall Be Kind"
2) Dead Mellotron - "Ghost Light Constellation"
1) Girls - "Album"

I've done an even worse job blogging my record reviews, lol

I was surprised to see Owl City on your list.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I was actually hoping you would comment on my Owl City entry. While I think that "Fireflies" is cheesy and of course extremely overplayed, I have to say that I simply just enjoy the album. It obviously sounds like the Postal Service, but I like that sound.
I try to avoid all the "but he's Christian music" talk about Owl City, because it is not really overtly so.

So yes, cheesy,sappy, silly. But it pleases my ears.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And Embryonic is one of those albums I mentioned that I need to spend more time with it. I just have not really listened to it much since I got it.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

Yeah, I'm more on the "he sounds too much like a Postal Service rip-off" side than the "ewww! Christian music!" side with Owl City. I don't like them for the same reason I don't like Guero: It sounds good, sure, but I can't shake the feeling I've heard it all before.

Embryonic would've rated higher on mine, as I think it's an extremely accomplished alubm, but it requires a listening environment where the album can really sink in. I just can't throw it on and skip around on it on a whim.

Haven't heard the Jason Lytle solo album, but I always liked Grandaddy, so I'll give it a listen this week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home