Monday, December 14, 2009

Office Party

I mentioned that I am the new "social coordinator" for the teachers' union at my school, and on Friday, my work in this capacity met with resounding success. As long as I have been at this school, we never had a faculty holiday party. Apparently the school used to have them, but for some reason the tradition died.

Anyway, at my old job in Minnesota, we always had a faculty holiday party, and I always enjoyed seeing people from other departments whom I did not see very often. So I decided to bring the party back . . . and it was awesome.I rented the back room of a nearby Irish pub and started collecting money from people a few weeks ago. The response was huge, and lots of people told me they were very glad to have a party back. So once I had a head count, I ordered a whole bunch of appetizers, bought a bunch of door prizes, worked very hard on a playlist (DJ Wang, back in action!), and hoped for the best.

And the best occurred. Everyone loved the party. Someone even jokingly told me that even though I am still non-tenured, the party probably seals my future at the school.

The best part, however, was what I hoped: people mingled, hung out with people they rarely see, and had a very united night of fun.

Good work, me.

1 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

Good work indeed, hooray for John! By the way, I miss you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home