Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Don't be thick in front of me"

I am very happy with the Oscar nominations that came out yesterday. It seems like a good year for a fan like me, since a film by the Coen Brothers tied with a film by Paul Thomas Anderson for the most nominations.

This is not the time for predictions, but I have a few comments to make about some of the major categories:

Best Picture
Nominees: Atonement, Juno, Michael Clayton, No Country for Old Men, There Will Be Blood
  • Having seen all five of these films, I can declare that I am quite pleased with four of the five nominees. As I have said, I liked Atonement, but I did not love it; I loved the other four films. Good work, voters.

Achievement in Directing
Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men; Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood; Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton; Jason Reitman, Juno; Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and Butterfly
  • Oh, happy day.

Best Actress
I am just very excited that Ellen Page got a nomination. She rules the school.

Best Actor
I mentioned in my review of Michael Clayton that George Clooney's performance during the closing credits proved that he was a master craftsman, and it does. But Daniel Day-Lewis . . . holy crap.

One last comment about the nominations: Jonny Greenwood's superbly gripping score for There Will Be Blood was not nominated, but not because of a snub. Apparently a few of the songs were written prior to being commissioned for the film, thus disqualifying the music for the original score category. That is good news for the other nominees, since Jonny would have cleaned the floor with them.

6 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

ya know, i recently saw juno. and, to be honest with you, at first i thought i was going to be disappointed. i went in with high hopes, and in the beginning i felt like the character Juno was way over the top. too witty and too smart and too shazam all the time. it really got to me, but i have to say that by the end of the movie, i could not help but love it as well.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

I read about Greenwood's ineligibility too. From what I've read about the soundtrack though, he composed some 30 hours of music for the film, which was eventually cut down to 30-something minutes. In my opinion, that should be enough to qualify. Plus, like you said, it was easily the most resonating score of the year.

BTW, was "4 Month, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days" Oscar-eligible? I saw that this week, and it was the most gripping and powerful film I've seen since "Pan's Labyrinth".

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Swirling emotions:

I came to i charge laughing to get some oscar info, on accounta the fact that I just read some asshole's shitty review of Juno in the Daily Northwestern and it mentioned the best picture nod. So I was already feeling pissed at "Ben Stix" (terrible name) and happy for the creators of Juno, and BLAM, I read that Heath Ledger died.

Shit, man. Dude had chops. Next you'll be tellin' me Will Smith got hit by a bus.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Ellen Page didn't quite do it for me, either, Tom. Her character's dialogue is certainly to blame as well, but she was just too loquacious and self-assured for a pregnant girl of 16. Of course, I would not have gone to a movie that centered on the sincere tribulations of a 16-year-old emotional and hormonal trainwreck for two hours, but her portrayal of Juno was just cool as a cucumber and just snappy enough to be distracting.

That was, however, the only bone I could pick with the movie, as every last supporting actor cleaned up.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I agree with some of the criticism of the dialogue, but Ellen Page's performance was perfect to me. If I did not like a few of her lines, she still delivered them well.

 
At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

you're #1 on google ranked under "don't be thick in front of me", lol! Love that moveie and that's my favorite line in the whole movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home