Tuesday, January 22, 2008

This thing, it grabs hold of us again . . .

I will be posting my reactions to the Oscar nominations tomorrow (I'm happy about them) and I promise my 2007 Film List will be up within a week. I know you all have been losing sleep.




Heath Ledger
1979-2008


"Rare is the performance that can honestly be called a 'revelation, but that's what it felt like to watch Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain." -- Jim Emerson


Ledger's portrayal of Ennis Del Mar is truly one of the great performances of the recent past, and in any non-Capote year, he would have won the Oscar. Brokeback Mountain is one of those films that rewards multiple viewings, and after having watched it many times in a row for a paper I wrote in grad school, I love it more every time I see it. Now, as if the story could be more heartbreaking, watching the film will take on a new gray.

But man, he looks so scary in Dark Knight.

2 Comments:

At 4:38 AM, Blogger Sara Ann posited...

Yeah, I was sad when I heard about that. He was a good and growing actor. Brokeback was a really solid film, and I think the major shifts between the different characters he played really marked his talent. Poor fellow.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Benson posited...

there's a nice memorial article here: http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/
2008/01/23/ledger/
just passing it along.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home