Thursday, January 17, 2008

But they can't write you and me

This week has been a killer. My school had finals this week, and unlike some high schools, LF has school-wide mandatory finals, and teachers all have to proctor other teachers' tests, etc. The English final is a department-standard essay final, and we grade them sort of like AP exams. Teachers do not grade their own students' exams, and each exam must be read twice, etc. So in other words, I have been staring at hand-written timed essays for the last 3 days. But we finished the finals, and now I just have to do all of my own grading. This is the part of being an English teacher that I did not miss, but I guess it comes with the job.

So we have a teacher workday tomorrow, and then a three-day weekend, which is always a bonus. But I will be spending most of the weekend planning for second semester. I have one new class that I am pretty excited about, since it is Film Criticism class. So I get to put my master's degree to work, and I have a lot of flexibility with what I teach. This will be fun, I think.

The first semester at my new job flew by. I have a hard time believing that the year is half over, but I am relatively certain that the calendar does not lie.


But enough of this life seriousness. A current favorite song is "Backed Out on The . . . " by Broken Social Scene presents Kevin Drew:



The video was an impromptu deal with Kevin and his friends. I find it most entertaining.

14 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

"Backed Out on the..." is a great song! Nice choice!

 
At 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

not gonna lie. . . those students who will take your film criticism class will be lucky. . . wish i could take that from you

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

me too

what films will you be criticizing

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth
2. Independence Day
3. Labyrinth
4. Dune
5. The Hunger

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

"Labyrinth", what a great movie. "Magic Dance" is one of the five greatest things Bowie ever wrote.

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I've got my fingers crossed for "Waterworld."

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

"my boat"

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Erik, I love that song, and I love that album. It just keeps getting better with every listen.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks Ariel. But you don't want to be in high school again, even if it is in some fancy-pants high school!

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And Max, you should be teaching my course. I could never come up with such a powerful film list.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

And I am just so excited that I got comments on my blog again that now I am going comment crazy.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

"TBTF" and "Safety Bricks" are my personal favorite tracks.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

true i know i don't want to be in high school again. . . oof. but that would have been a cool class to take.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

Maybe you can have a unit in your film class about the rise and fall of Chevy Chase's movie career. Now that's something I want to learn about.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I would attend any class that involved Caddyshack. But then I am a golfing nut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home