Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Look at what they make you give."

Wow. That was a longer blog hiatus than I had planned, but I have been busy moving and getting things ready for my new job and apartment. I had to go drop off all of my insurance paperwork earlier this week, plus I have been trying to do some lesson planning. In addition, I moved my final truckload of stuff to Chicago today.

I also spent my first night in my new apartment last weekend. (I have still not moved 100%, so I am officially still in DeKalb.) My cousin and I went out to check out the nightlife in my new neighborhood, and we had a great time. I found some cool hangouts, so I am happy about that. I also had to do some furniture shopping, plus I bought a new bike. I am very excited to have a bike again, and a bike in the city is a must.



I have also seen a couple of movies worth mentioning.

Sicko, Michael Moore's documentary about the insurance industry, is compelling, eye-opening, and very aggravating. I love Michael Moore, and this movie is excellent. But it is much less partisan than past films, and I recommend it. I learned a lot, especially about the history of and government involvement in the insurance business. Very disturbing.

And the movie I was most looking forward to this summer? The Bourne Ultimatum, of course. I loved the first Bourne film, and then I loved The Bourne Supremacy even more. I think that it is one of the greatest action films ever made. So I was looking forward to the new one, and I was very happy that Paul Greengrass was back on board as director. And man! I love this film. This installment is nonstop action; it is frenetic and dizzying and brilliant. I think Matt Damon does a masterful job as the stoic action hero, but the direction and camera work are truly mind-boggling.

One fight scene (the one with the books) is so fast-paced that it is hard to know what is happening, and I think this adds to the action. I love the character development, the car chases, the brief and well-timed pauses. Well, I loved everything about it. The Bourne films collectively stand as one of the best series ever.

1 Comments:

At 12:41 AM, Blogger sherlock posited...

Now that my dad has finally seen "Wild Hogs," I've decided I need to show him a real movie with "The Bourne Ultimatum." I've already seen it, but it was fantastical enough that I would gladly see it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home