Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Daft Punk is playing at my house

I feel that as a music person, I should say something about Lollapalooza 2007. After all, it takes place this weekend in Chicago, where I will soon be moving. It is only an hour away from where I am now, and since my new lease starts tomorrow, I have a place to sleep in the city. Most importantly, the lineup features many of my favorite artists. Specifically, I would love to see the following acts:
  • Daft Punk
  • Peter Bjorn and John
  • LCD Soundsystem
  • Snow Patrol
(among many, many others, of course . . .)

All signs point to me going to Lollapalooza, and yet . . . I am not going.

Much of my reasoning has to do with money -- tickets are very expensive, and I am trying to save as much as I can for moving/new furniture expenses. On the other hand, I would pay separately to see many of the bands in the lineup, which would in the end cost more, I suppose. But I'd rather pay to see the bands I really love play full sets.

The other reason I am not going (and why I never really even considered it) is that I am completely turned off by the whole festival concept. I don't really like big crowds, and something about outdoor crowds is even more off-putting than indoor crowds to me. Add in the heat (which this weekend in Chicago will be scorching), plus overpriced concessions, plus drunk idiots, plus patchoulli stank, and it all combines to a rather hellish experience for me.

I hope I can see these bands some other time, because I will not be at Lollapalooza.

6 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Plus, we will be going to Indy to get furniture!

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

That's true, though Lollapalooza is Friday and Saturday, too.

But I have to rest up for furniture moving, and a music fest is no place for resting up.

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

I agree! While part of me always wants to go to festivals (especially when there are Decemberists involved), I cannot bring myself to endure all the shittiness that goes along with them.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Unknown posited...

Come to the after party then !!!!

When the festival is over . . . the party gets started.


Throne of Blood
&
Ed Banger
present…

THE ED BANGER CREW - Paris, France
Busy P, SebastiAn, Kavinsky

&

THE THRONE OF BLOOD CREW – New York City, NY
Vito, Druzzi, Mattie, & Luke The Duke,
James F!@#$%^ Friedman

with

DJ Funk - Chicago Hometown Hero

Gildas - Kitsune, Paris, FR

Jordan Z. - New Indie Party, D.S.C.

& “Special guests” TBA

August 3rd, 2007
Green Dolphin Street – Chicago
2200 N. Ashland Ave.
10PM – 4AM
$15

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

the crowd was a bunch of intolerable frat boys but daft punk was one of the greatest things i've seen in years and lcd soundsystem was really fun

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Pammy posited...

DAFT PUNK WAS AMAZING

 

Post a Comment

<< Home