Friday, July 27, 2007

Smile for a while, and let's be jolly

I have previously mentioned that my high school friends and I used to love dancing. We would dance at just about all of our parties, and sometimes out on the lawn.

Anyway, some of the songs that we danced to are now more or less forgotten by the masses (and some were never known by the masses), but earlier today I was thinking about some of these songs as I was cruising around YouTube.

One song that was just a very, very minor hit but that deserves to be remembered is the 1989 song "I Beg Your Pardon" by Kon Kan. Most people have never heard of this song or group, I realize; they were a one hit wonder, and their hit was barely a hit. What I love about it is the combination of the silly, poppy dance music and the singer's stoic vocals. (The "other guy" in the group, Barry Harris, went on to form the very popular dance/techno remix team Thunderpuss -- trust me, if you know dance remixes, you know Thunderpuss.)

Plus "I Beg Your Pardon" samples brilliantly from the cheesey 70's song "I Never Promised You a Rose Garden," among many other samples.

Anyway, it is silly and fun, and it has been in my head for a few days, so now I am sharing:

1 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

I had never heard that song before, but I actually liked it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home