Friday, February 09, 2007

We're going to a party party

My Birthday Post

At first I thought 34 was a terrible age to turn. It's so boring. Nothing happens at 34, except that I guess I am in my mid-thirties now . . . No, I will still claim early-thirties.

But then I learned all of the exciting facts about the number 34:
  • 34 is a biprime, also known as a semiprime.
  • 34 is the smallest number to be surrounded by numbers with the same number of divisors as it has.
  • 34 is a Markov number. (Yeah, I don't understand this one either.)
  • 34 is the international calling code for Spain.
  • 34 was the uniform number of Walter Payton and Kirby Puckett.
  • 34 is the atomic number of selenium
OK, so maybe most of those are not so exciting. I am intrigued by the idea of living each year in alignment with the corresponding element on the Periodic Table though. I just finished my arsenic year, and next year I have my bromine period to look forward to.
But for now, I am selenium, which is essential to life but toxic in large doses. Much like me.

Other nonsense:
  • The 34th artist (alphabetically) on my iPod is Broken Social Scene.
  • The 34th album is "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations" by Eels.
  • The 34th song is "1963" by New Order.
  • The 34th song to come up on shuffle is "Suffer Well" by Depeche Mode.
Strangely, I have six songs in my iTunes that contain the word "birthday":
  • "Birthday" by The Beatles
  • "Birthday" by Blur
  • "Sunday (The Day Before My Birthday)" by Moby
  • "Birthday Boy" by Pet Shop Boys
  • "Unhappy Birthday" by The Smiths
  • "Happy Birthday" by Stevie Wonder

That's all. I am looking forward to fun with friends tonight, and then fun in Chicago tomorrow.

My First Birthday

3 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Have a good selenium year!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Happy Birthday!

You know, I always thought 19 was a boring age to turn too. 16 - Driving. 17 - R-Rated Movies (hey it's something) 18 - adult. Voting, gambling (MN), smoking, whatever. 19 - Nothing. 20 - Third decade. 21 - Free and clear boozing. 19 is just stuck in there and no one knows why.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

hey you get to buy cigarettes! oh wait, that is 18 too... yeah, 19 does suck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home