Thursday, February 08, 2007

Like peas in a pod

Last year, I wrote about turning 33 and that age 33 is called one's "Jesus Year," since Jesus died at age 33. Now, on my last day of being 33, I am grateful that I did not die (barring any unforeseen mishaps or accidental crucifixions between now and midnight).

But I thought it would be appropriate to compare some of the things Jesus did at age 33 with the things I did.

Jesus vs. Me
  • At age 33, Jesus healed the blind man Bartimaeus.
  • I helped a friend get a speck of hair out of his eye.
  • At age 33, Mary, the sister of Lazarus, anointed Jesus with perfume and wiped his feet with her hair.
  • I went to a bar where some chick spilled beer on my shoes.
  • At age 33, Jesus blessed the little children.
  • I blessed the little children . . . with knowledge. (This moment brought to you by Sylvan.)
  • At age 33, Jesus cursed a fig tree.
  • I ate a Fig Newton.
  • At age 33, Jesus gathered his twelve disciples at the Last Supper and told them to carry on his teachings.
  • I had supper with twelve English grad students, and we also talked about teaching.
  • At age 33, Jesus was betrayed by his friend Judas.
  • I was betrayed by Rob Halford, lead singer of Judas Priest. (And let me tell you, he's got another thing comin'.)
  • At age 33, Jesus was charged with blasphemy by the high priest Caiaphas and sentenced to death by Pontius Pilate.
  • This also happened to me, but thankfully Illinois has a moratorium on the death penalty.
  • At age 33 Jesus was brutally crucified, with metal spikes through his hands and feet.
  • I had a pretty bad hangnail.
It's a tie.

7 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

post of the year. you could write for snl.








although, that's not saying much anymore, come to think of it...

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger PBear posited...

Betrayed by Rob Halford? I bet there's an interesting story behind that; I'll take a stab at it.

You were both heading out to the highway, riding on the wind and breaking the law, when you discovered that Rob had been delivering the goods to your turbo lover. After screaming for vengeance, you started to have evil fantasies and became a dissident aggressor, hell bent for leather.

9 songs. Nice.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks, Tom. I know you meant well.

And Adam, you nailed it. Good guess.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

wang, i think this entire post counts as blasphemey. watch out for some smotage tonight...

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

later that day, 2 philistines crucify the coach:

philistine 1: Well, another heretic nailed to a cross, another dollar.

philistine 2: Waiiit a minute...this man isn't a rabble-rouser! He's just a smartass!

Philistine 1: Well, do YOU want to pull the nails out of his hands and say you're sorry? Besides, we've got a quota.

philistine 2: Good point. We'll just hoist him up and no will know the difference.

philistine 1: High five!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Nobel Prize for drama, please

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yes, nice skit, Max.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home