Sunday, February 04, 2007

A house divided

All in all, the job fair went pretty well I think. It was indeed a lot of standing in line. Some lines were more than an hour long. I got to nine interviews in six hours. I had some positive feedback, including a few people that told me that they would definitely recommend me for a real interview. So now I wait.



But the real stress is coming from my torn allegiance in the Super Bowl. I grew up in a Chicago-loving family, and when I was in middle school, I was a big fan of the "Super Bowl Shuffle." So in that sense, Go Bears!
But on the other hand, I did grow up in Indiana, and was there when the Colts first arrived from Baltimore. So in that sense, Yea rah, Colts!

I really don't know what to do.

Oh wait . . . I forgot. I neither like nor care about football even one infinitesimal amount. Whew! Problem solved.

I will say this, however: whichever way the game turns out tonight, the Bears fans around here will be a fairly despicable lot for the next few days, either overwrought with grief or bloated with self-satisfaction.


Addendum:
I did, of course, watch Prince, since he's awesome. Knowing that my favorite Prince songs would not get played because they were either too dirty ("Gett Off"), too old ("Controversy"), or too awesome ("I Wanna Be Your Lover"), I was interested to see what he was going to play.
Some thoughts:
  • "Let's Go Crazy" features one of my favorite 80s lyrics: "Let's look for the purple banana till they put us in the truck."
  • Does Prince really have so few appropriate songs that he must resort to a Jimi Hendrix*/Foo Fighters medley? (* I realize that Hendrix was covering Bob Dylan here, but Prince's version was decidedly much more Hendrix than Dylan.)
  • "Purple Rain" does bring back some great memories of Marion, Indiana. The Marion High School basketball team won state three years in a row, and since our colors were purple and gold, the t-shirts for the year said "Purple Reign." Very clever.
  • One and half Prince songs. Lame.

13 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

Prince

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Well said, Sam. Well said.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

Let's not forget the Ike and Tina thrown in with "Proud Mary" (and yes I realize that it's a CCR song, but Prince was definitely playing it in an Ike and Tina manner).

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Rex Grossman may become the most-hated person in Chicago since that foul-ball-snatching Cubs fan...

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger matt posited...

i was deeply saddened when i only received one and a half prince songs. i loved that guitar! and he threw it into the crowd. man, how sweet would that have been to get that?

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Matt-
I think that he just threw it to his tech guy on the side of the stage.

I totally agree that it needed more actual Prince songs. I would have even accepted "Batdance".

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Jake posited...

For a long time the Batman soundtrack was my favorite Prince album. That probably had more to do with how much I loved Batman in sixth grade than anything.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger matt posited...

i refuse to believe that he simply threw it to the tech guy, even though that does seem a tad more realistic.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

the way my dad decided who to root for in the SB:

"who are you rooting for, dad?"
"well, it's a red state versus a blue state. It's simple."

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

hahahahahahahahahahaha

that's the sweetest (and most arbitrary) rationale ever. I love it. And as far as the Prince halftime show went...

I liked the Best of You cover
I liked the stage
I liked the guitar playing
I liked the singing
I liked the rain
I liked pyrotechnics
I liked that the Rolling Stones were...elsewhere.

All in all, the last is what made it the most worthwhile. At least in this, the 21st century.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Paul McCartney did well.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Alright, so I guess I would have preferred a 17 minute D.M.S.R./My Name Is Prince/Get Off medely, but I thought the tracks he chose worked well.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Kelsi posited...

I think it is 'coincidental' that Prince did a Dylan/Hendrix and Foo Fighters medley when B.D. and the F.F. were on tour just now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home