Sunday, February 11, 2007

Move ya body for me

I had a great birthday weekend. On Friday night, I went out with my awesome friends and whooped it up DeKalb-style. I really had a fantastic time.

Then, on Saturday I headed in to Chicago for more fun with my cousin and a birthday dinner with my dad (whose birthday is tomorrow) and his wife. We went out to dinner at an amazing restaurant, and then Christie and I went out to some of our old haunts.

But another thing we did was go the see the Body Worlds exhibit at the museum of Science and Industry, and it was one of the most interesting exhibits I have ever seen. Basically, it is an exhibit of different real human bodies, all in various states of cut-openness so that you can see all the insides. Some of the bodies are just missing their skin so you can see all the muscles, while others are completely dissected so you can see the inner stuff. And again, these are real human bodies with all of their real parts. The bodies are "plastinated," which is a very interesting (and slightly gruesome) process:
Decomposition is a natural process triggered initially by cell enzymes released after death and later completed when the body is colonized by putrefaction bacteria and other microorganisms. By removing water and fats from the tissue and replacing these with polymers, the Plastination process deprives bacteria of what they need to survive. Bodily fluids cannot, however, be replaced directly with polymers, because the two are chemically incompatible. Gunther von Hagens found a way around this problem: In the initial fluidexchange step, water in the tissues (which comprises approximately 70% of the human body) and fatty tissues are replaced with acetone, a solvent that readily evaporates. In the second step, the acetone is replaced with a polymer solution. The trick that first proved to be critical for pulling the liquid polymer into each and every cell is what he calls "forced vacuum impregnation." A specimen is placed in a vacuum chamber and the pressure is reduced to the point where the solvent boils. The acetone is suctioned out of the tissue at the moment it vaporizes, and the resulting vacuum in the specimen causes the polymer solution to permeate the tissue This exchange process is allowed to continue until all of the tissue has been completely saturated—while a matter of only a few days for thin slices, this step can take weeks for whole bodies.
(from the Body Worlds website)

The bodies are posed in different positions so you can see how all the parts work: there was a ski jumper, a thinker, two figure skaters, etc.




It was fascinating.

11 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I found the Body World exhibit amazing. The nuns here at Saint Scholastica seemed to have a problem with it for some reason. I really don't get it. I was a great exhibit for anatomy students.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

(Hi Scott.)
Yeah, I have read that apparently some people are upset because the bodies are naked.
Somehow I think it would be strange to put underwear on the bodies when they don't have skin.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Man did your exhibit have a basketball player? He was the best one at the science museum of minnesota show, but I think they use different bodies for every show.

Also, are you gonna donate your body to be plasticized. You could live FOREVER...sort of.

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

No, no basketball player. I think it was there when Body Worlds 1 was here, but this was Body Worlds 2. They did have a yoga woman which was pretty cool.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

Tara and I went to see that in minneapolis last year. It was pretty intense.

 
At 11:34 PM, Blogger matt posited...

it was pretty sweet. i also liked seeing the blood vessel model

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

the waiting list is really long though

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I wish I had checked it out while it was here in St. Paul. It was one of those things I always was planning on doing, but everytime I would try to make plans to go there with someone else... it wouldn't work out. Damn.

In regards to why some people don't like the exhibit...
I remember listening to a story on NPR about a bioethicist who believed that these exhibits were disrepectful to the dead. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5640183

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Sorry, that link didn't seem to come out complete.

Try this one.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

The only thing I disliked was the fact that stupid, so-called-parents would bring their 2 year olds to the exhibit. Yah, that's a good idea. Small children giggling at the "naked parts" on the bodies is really educational for them.....

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I completely agree, Vinnie. Even if the bodies had not been naked, I am not sure that a two year old is ready to see a guy with his face peeled back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home