Monday, December 04, 2006

You ain't heard nothin' yet

Finally, I have finished my film list. I started watching the films at the beginning of the summer, and I did get most of the way through it by the end of the summer. But it has taken me almost as long to get around to my last film as it took me to watch all of the others.

90. THE JAZZ SINGER (1927)

This movie is considered the first film to successfully integrate synchronized sound, and I imagine that it was quite spectacle in its time. The movie is mostly silent, but Al Jolson performs his songs in sound, and just as he begins his first number, he looks at the camera and says, "You ain't heard nothin' yet." This was obviously an important moment in film. The movie itself is, well, ok. The film tells the story of a Jewish singer, Jakie, whose father wants him to become the cantor of the synagogue, but Jakie wants to sing jazz. It is the same plot as Neil Diamond's remake, but without "America"--TODAY! But Neil Diamond's film is obviously not on the AFI list. I am glad I saw this movie, especially now that I have finished my list, and I recognize its importance, but I cannot see ever wanting to see it again. Plus there is nothing funnier than blackface.


In the near future, I will post a retrospective reflection on the experience of completing this list. So you have that to wake up for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home