Sunday, December 03, 2006

The ants are eating your friend

I used my few days of downtime to watch some movies that I have had from Netflix for several weeks.

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang -- This movie is very funny and very entertaining. It is basically a film noir/buddy spoof with Robert Downey, Jr. and Val Kilmer. It is a quirky and clever detective story with lots of great lines and a fun use of narration.

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada -- Directed by Tommy Lee Jones and written by Guillermo Arriaga, the beautiful, complex, and darkly funny film tells the story of a man trying to properly bury his wrongly-killed friend.


I don't want to say too much about it, except that it should be seen. It definitely would have been in my Top 10 last year had I seen it when it came out.

Caché -- This disturbing French film really drew me in. It is tense and psychologically intriguing, but it may not be for everyone. If you require a resolution and unambiguous meanings from your films, then this is not for you. But I found it to be quite fascinating.


And I also saw Babel at the theater today. I am still processing it, but I am pretty sure it was excellent. It is very sad, very disturbing, and very well-acted. As I said, I am still piecing it together in my head, but the direction (by Alejandro González Iñárritu) and camerawork were incredible, as was the acting. I generally really love these multi-story films, and these stories all work very well together. This was also written by Arriaga (whom I mentioned above), and the movie tackles ambitious and grand ideas about communication, globalization, terrorism, and much more. I especially like the idea that the biggest communication breakdowns happen not between strangers but between family members.


Babel is a challenging film, and I will be thinking about it for many days.

6 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

as i said before on my blog, i disagree about babel. i really didn't think it was overly complex and the issues it tackled, while grand, were handled in a very superficial way. i did think the japanese third of the film was done very well, and the acting was superb all around. i guess i just don't think that it was that great. i think it sort of masquerades (i hope i spelled that right) as the type of film people just sort of assume is great because they think they are missing something. i thought that way about syriana, but syriana, i think, was more complex and didn't have as clear of a cut resolution as babel, leaving one to process the movie far more than babel. but whatever.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

"i think it sort of masquerades . . . as the type of film people just sort of assume is great because they think they are missing something."

You're right, Tay. I just liked it because it was over my head.

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Shelty posited...

Hmm... Have you seen The Fountain? That one was interesting.

(Hello, by the way!)

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Hi Michelle. No, I have not seen The Fountain yet.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Tay, I do know what you mean about films that people just assume are good. But you can see why it sounds bad when you say it in your comment.
W-"I like Babel"
T- "People only like it if they are missing something."

The transitive property works well here, you see.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Pammy posited...

#1: The Fountain: OK. Parts of it were kind of lame-o. But I loved the part so much where he's really deep in thought and he's walking through the dark busy streets but his footsteps are all you hear... The colors were great.
#2: What's the transitive property again?
#3" Hi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home