Sunday, October 15, 2006

Text is clattering

I have previously included some of the bizarre poetry that I used to write in high school. I was quite the literary giant in my day.

Here is a second installment for your reading enjoyment.


On a Clear Day
The deck, the pile,
When clouds strike.
A multitude of bricks
All in the pan.
Can we ever get out?

Dying with your shoes,
Text is clattering.
Spices can't pick out,
The pennant slowly fades.
Wherefore the duck?


Circular
Why does a toe, and not a green?
If not, no, I thought so.
There's a big wind coming,
And I'm on my way.
Why don't you laugh out loud?
You can't hide behind the broccoli.
Why not, you ask? Because.
But I must protest.
No, no, you mustn't.
Oh, then I'll kick.
Okay, see you at tea.

(Note: I read some of these poems in the first few days after meeting my new floormates in my first week of college, and my new friend Lisa liked the phrase "You can't hide behind the broccoli" so much that she decided to make it the motto of our floor.)


Nectar on Peas
Window washer
On a ledge.
Modern barstool.


Oak
Nodding mechanically,
We romp about.


Plug It In
Sew me a song,
My Anglo pal.
I see the meaning
Behind the shrubs.


Coming Home Again
The dreaded chase,
Again, I meet my Waterloo.
Synthesizing the mincemeat,
My boots aren't on straight.


I Like Birds*

I need a little luck.
I can only see as far
as the nearest tumbleweed.
My elbow and its possessions
Have been boiling fruitcake.

*Note: It is pure cosmic coincidence that a poem I wrote in 1989 has the same title as one of my favorite Eels songs.


Mockingbirds and Lullabies

Splice me some genes,
Oh, mighty tundra-rattler.

6 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I like "Plug It In" best.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Wherefore the duck, indeed?


Once upon a time at Missy Ho, I made a sweet video with the song "I Like Birds."

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

I first misread your second sentence as "I was quite literally a giant in my day."

One again, reality has let me down.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Well my high school was home of the Marion Giants.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

So you were quite literally a Giant in your day, and a literary Giant to boot?

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

Cosmic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home