Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bitter-batter butter biscuits

I have a very peculiar and very specific memory. I remember specific conversations that I had with people 20 years ago. I remember specific lessons, including some actual questions my teachers asked, from elementary school. My brain is so crammed full of specific nonsense from my past that I feel like one day I will not be able to add any new information.

Last night, I remembered that when I was in second grade, I wrote a limerick and a tongue-twister, both of which I had to recite for a school assembly.

Here is the limerick I wrote, still flawlessly preserved in the freezer of my mind:
There once was a boy from Grum
Who was very hyper and dumb.
His mom was so mad
She said to his dad,
"I'm going to pull off his thumb."
Stellar.

What got me thinking about this was that Macaulay Culkin was on Conan last night talking about tongue-twisters that he used to write. So I thought about the one I wrote in second grade, and it just immediately flowed off my tongue with no blips in my memory at all. Why is it there, 26 years later?

Anyway, it is really more of an alliterative story than a tongue-twister:

Betty Baker bakes bitter-batter butter biscuits better because of bigger, better batches of bologna. But Bob Brown bakes bitter-batter butter biscuits a bit better than Betty Baker bakes bitter-batter butter biscuits because he barbeques bagels in the barn in Boston while bouncing bonbons on his buns.

Yep, the compartments of my brain are getting full, I fear.

3 Comments:

At 9:33 PM, Blogger Kelsi posited...

Isn't it strange? I have a tendency to remember fragments of things, dreams or reality, and have to verify whether or not they really happened. Double-edged sword, memory is.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

The question then remains, how to construct new compartments?

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger swalker posited...

My brain is so crammed full of specific nonsense from my past that I feel like one day I will not be able to add any new information.

Good news: according to the Psychology chapter I read yesterday, most modern psychologists theorize that the storage capacity of the brain is limitless (or effectively limitless, at least).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home