Sunday, October 22, 2006

"A single shot can end the war"

I saw two movies over the weekend.

The Prestige is a very cool film. Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman deliver great performances, supported by the always great Michael Caine, and a very interesting role by David Bowie. I won't get into all the plot twists, but I will just say that I thought I had it figured out, and then I was totally wrong, and totally blown away. Excellent. Christopher Nolan is a top-notch filmmaker.

Flags of Our Fathers is also very good, though not as excellent as I was hoping. Clint Eastwood is also an amazing director, and the performances are all very strong. The best performance belongs to Adam Beach, who plays Ira Hayes, and his portrayal is heartbreaking. The flaws I saw in the movie involve its framing and structure, especially at the end. But the battle scenes are expertly filmed and very graphic and gruesome. And the story is fascinating and sad, showing how the government exploited a bunch of shell-shocked young soldiers. A scene at a halftime show is profoundly sad and moving. Eastwood has created a powerful exploration of the nature of heroes and how the country deals with war.

4 Comments:

At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Saw The Prestige last night. Loved it. Stylish, dark, and really forces you to pay attention to detail.

I notice that you didn't mention Scarlett Johansson at all. Not that she had that much screen time, but I felt that she wasn't too bad. Smart of Nolan to not overdo that romance, and just let Bale and Jackman do their thing.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, I thought she did a good job, but I felt her part was not the strongest in the story.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

is that the same Ira Hayes from that Johnny Cash song? im just gonna assume it is...

"call him drunken Ira Hayes,
he wont answer you no more,
not to whiskey drinkin' indian,
or the marine who went to war"

yeah, its gotta be the same. huh, i always figured Cash just made that shit up.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yep, that's him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home