Sunday, September 17, 2006

Somewhere ages and ages hence

I have been thinking a lot lately about what exactly I am going to do after my two-year Master's program is finished. I have posted before about why I am doing this little grad school adventure, and I have also posted about various big changes in my life over the years. But as my second year of grad school quickly ticks by, I need to figure out what comes next.

Here are my options:
  • Since I am on a two-year leave from teaching in Brainerd, I could go back there. I did love my job there, but as everyone knows, small town life was starting to wear thin. If I returned to ISD 181, I would only be guaranteed a job, not necessarily my previous job, so I could get stuck teaching at the Mega Middle School. So as much as I value my years in Minnesota, this is the least likely option for me.
  • I could continue on with grad school, moving on to my Ph.D. I do like being a student again, and now that I have had a little taste of teaching in college, I can see continuing on.
  • Or I could go back to teaching high school (and perhaps directing plays), but in the Chicago area. I do very much miss teaching, especially the day-to-day interaction with students. I get a little of that at Sylvan I guess (where I was recently named Sylvan Teacher of the Month -- woohoo!), but it is not the same as teaching my own classes.
If I were a betting man, I would put money on Option 3. While the idea of continuing with grad school does sound fun, I have started to feel that I am at the point in my life where I just want to get on with it. My first stop in Chicago, then Minnesota, and now grad school -- these were all great experiences, but all stepping stones. I think I'd like my real life to begin now.

And what I really want to do is live in Chicago. And I want to start making money again. And I want to teach.

Therefore, I have started to think about the whole job search process. So as the year progresses on and this current chapter of my life enters the waning phase, I hope to have exciting and new and great things to report about my future. I'll keep you posted.


9 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

So did you find that nifty little visual pun through the magic of the intraweb, or did you stage it yourself?

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I was going to do it myself, but it was raining and already getting dark by the time I thought of it, so I just found a picture online.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Jake posited...

I recommend Option 3. You could get a job at that one school where you taught for three weeks in the fall of '97. You know, because you liked it so much.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, I did love it. But just to refresh your memory, I worked there for 6 months.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

that looks like a fork in the road. Yogi Berra would take it.

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Denmark, Wisconsin is quite nice, close to Green Bay, and only two hours from Chicago. Good school district, neighbors are friendly to red-headed vegans.

 
At 8:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Option 4

You grow a curly orange mustache, and become an acrobat in France. You eventually become injured in an elephant accident, but the tragedy of the injury inspires you to write a collection of poems that will only be appreciated after your death. You return to teaching, and move back to Chicago.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Now, Adam, don't try living vicariously through Mr. Wanninger.

 
At 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

You got me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home