Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Uprooted and transplanted

Some years of life just breeze by. Little things happen. Maybe some big things happen -- but nothing that really shapes your life.
But some years are milestones. These are the years when you change something about yourself. Because of something that happened in that year, your life takes a new path.

As another year comes to an end, I have been thinking about this quite a bit. Normally I do not dwell on age or upcoming birthdays, but I think the events of the past year have made me think about these milestone years.

So, here are some milestone years in my life. This is not an exhaustive list, but I chose the milestones that involved replanting myself:

  • Year 17 - I decided that Grinnell College was the place for me. I went on a campus visit with my mom and my friend Lisa when I was a junior, and I was hooked immediately. I didn't apply anywhere else. And once I was there, I knew that I had found the right place.
  • Year 25 - With no friends or family in the area, I moved to Brainerd, Minnesota. I had been living in Chicago and loving it, except I had no money. I had quit my teaching job there and was working retail. I knew I had to move, and so I found the Brainerd job online, and took a leap. And I loved it. I made the best friends, and I loved my job.
  • Year 32 - I needed a change in my life, so I quit the job I loved and left the friends who made me happy. I moved to DeKalb to pursue my master's degree in Film & Literature. So far, so good.

I guess I'll just see how I grow.

17 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

happy birthday, wang! i only hope that i can be so self-aware and proactive in changing my life.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks . . . though it is not quite my birthday!

And Nikie, not Hawaii. Probably Grand Cayman. And I won't be 60, because in year 35, I will win the lottery. Just so you know.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger swalker posited...

I read that as Grand Canyon, and i thought that living in a cave in the Grand Canyon would probably be the coolest retirement ever.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Just me and my pack mule.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Pack mule.
Hhhrrm.

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

yes, i realize now that it's tomorrow. but i meant well.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

How dare you wish me happy birthday early, you stupid fool.
:-)

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

you ungrateful bastard.

i officially rescind any HINT of a birthday greeting.

who's house. huh? yeah, that's what i thought.

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

hm. awkward punctuation. but i meant well!

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger matt posited...

i see you growing in a direction that includes moving in with me and teaching me how to speak correctly and giving me sage advice. like mr. miagi (sp?)

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Matthew-san, must talk. Man walk on road. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk down middle, sooner or later, get squished.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

So sayeth Miyagi.

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

that was just amazing. Happy Birthday Wang, I hope that this next year yields even greater bounty than the year passed. Good luck, do well, and for god's sakes don't do anything that I wouldn't do... (short list, I know)

Peace
Trent

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

"Lisa it's your birthday, happy birthday Lisa. Lisa it's your birthday, happy birthday Lisa."

Who sings that?

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

Michael Jackson sings that on an episode of "The Simpsons." However, it isn't actually "the" Michael Jackson, just some in-mate with a great voice who's name happens to be Michael Jackson.

...

OH! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Carson posited...

"There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents ... and only one for birthday presents, you know."
-Lewis Carroll

Happy Birthday Wanninger!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Thanks, everyone!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home