Saturday, August 20, 2005

You fill in the mortar. You fill in the harmony

Why I am doing this thing that I'm doing:

(No, I don't mean the blog.)

So, I quit my job, left my friends, and moved to another state. Why on Earth?

I loved almost all aspects of my Brainerd life. Let me start with my friends: The friends that I have in Brainerd are among the best I have ever had, and I already miss them dearly. They became my family, and I will always consider them my family. Because of them, I will always return to Brainerd, no matter where I end up.

Now to my job: I loved teaching high school in Brainerd, for the most part. Of course, as most readers of this blog know, I especially loved directing the plays and working with those students. The last few years of teaching pre-AP have been the best teaching years I have had, and I do not take the privilege to work with such students lightly. But every job has its downfalls, and fortunately most of the downfalls of teaching have nothing to do with the kids. My teacher friends and I always joke that teaching would be easy if it were not for the other adults in the building. I'll leave it at that.

But when I got my BHS job seven years ago, I told myself it was a stepping stone; I intended to stay for two or three years and then move on. But I liked it, and it was comfortable, so I stayed. But I do not want "comfortable" at this point in my life.

Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.
Lord Chesterfield
Deep.
So I have moved on -- to study something that I am interested in (Literature and Film) and see where this new path takes me. I may go on to my Ph.D., or I may go back to teaching high school, or some other possibility may present itself. I like (and am simultaneously terrified by) the idea that my future, at age 32, has still not been determined.
I do know that small town Brainerd doesn't really offer what I need.
My posts will not be this serious, but I thought this was an important way to start.
This is my world
And I am the world leader pretend
This is my life, and this is my time
I have been given the freedom
To do as I see fit
It's high time I razed the walls
That I've constructed
- R.E.M.

7 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

I'm going to miss you. Today we were at BHS and Chris Derby stole your hall pass as a memento.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I hope he wears it around his neck like the Flava Flav of Brainerd.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger matt posited...

i think josh speaks for everyone when saying that you will be missed.

whatever happened to flava flav?

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I laughed when you said, "Deep." It reminded me of Mr. Hewitt.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger jimaal posited...

oOOoOooOo i LiKeD ThIs OnE

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yes, John, it's true. I am nothing if not just like Hewitt.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger CM posited...

Yeah I had to make off with it in a real 007 fashion. the construction guys were angry we would actually be WALKING on their new floor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home