Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Do you come here often?

One of the best things about using a stat tracking program on my blog is that I can see how random strangers arrive at my blog through various Google searches and such.

So here are some of the Google (or BlogSearch or Technorati or Yahoo) searches that have led people to visit i charge laughing:
  • I get quite a few hits when people search for the bands I have written about. Some recent searches include "Saint Etienne," "Depeche Mode," and "The Boo Radleys." And just today someone visited on a "Chemical Brothers Let Forever Be" search.
In addition, lyric searches sometimes lead people my way:
  • "alabaster shoplifters meaning" led someone to my acrostic iPod post, which contains a Smiths reference
  • "don't mean to sound like one of the boys" brought a Depeche Mode fan
  • Page France fans have stumbled by on searches for "so sweetly around me," "we remain as two," and "love and interruption lyrics"
  • And for a three week period a couple of months ago, I had at least 4 searches per day for "everytime I see you falling" from my New Order post. Apparently something was going on with New Order all over the world because all of these searches were from international bloggers: Chile, England, France, Iceland, Nevada.

  • I have gotten four or five hits from a search for "tofurkey tofuckyou," which led visitors here -- to a comment Josh made.
  • I had a search for "dave chappelle landing on car in conair," which directed someone to this post, even though I didn't mention "landing on car." I did, however, mention "Dave Chappelle" and "landing gear."
  • Several blog surfers have searched for items related to David Sedaris: "david sedaris you are going to die"; "david sedaris signing you are going to die"; "david sedaris skeleton hugh"
  • Many people find my blog on searches for "e.e. cummings" (and remember, E.E. Cummings always signed his name with capital letters) and for "e.e. cummings poem i charge laughing." I even had someone breeze through looking for "e.e. cummings april is cruelest month." I found this one funny because while I did title a post "April is the cruelest month," that quotation is from T.S. Eliot, not E.E. Cummings. But I am glad they found me nonetheless.
  • In the months following Katrina, at least five times per day people found my blog via a search for "Shuba Pie." Apparently other people thought this piece of humor was as hilarious as I did.
  • Recently someone came by looking for "beyond my control dangerous liaisons." I like it.
  • The strangest search was for "television or singapore lions at the gate," which led someone here, though Singapore is nowhere to be found.
  • Twice someone from Arizona has visited after a Google search for "Kali Gardner"
  • And, someone searched for "zorbaz gull lake entertainment." Precious.

Oh, what blogging fun. This post, by the way, is my 200th post. I did not bake a cake.

8 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Blogger M.Cummings posited...

I tried to find your site with "Wang" as the key word! It wasn't pretty.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yes, that would be a lot of stuff to filter through.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

much later (right now) i realized it was on mcsweenys a while ago

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

I baked you a cake, but I left it out in the rain. Sorry.

How does one access such statistics as these? I have a feeling we've had a few visitors from "barrows, minnesota" posts.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Anybody else notice the Nevada burn?

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Max, there are all kinds of sites that offer this service. I use StatCounter. You have to install some code in your blog template. Obviously you can't get retroactive stats though.

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Jason, it was not meant as a burn so much as just silliness.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Dr Em posited...

i love my blog stats too! i get a lot of searches for reuben sandwich recipes, obviously. so i added some links to recipes. one time my friend found my site when she did a search for lake harriet pizza because i wrote an entry that involved the pizza place. she just wanted to phone number so she could order a pizza.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home