Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"I made a lot of mistakes"

I was listening to Broken Social Scene the other day, and I was thinking that many of their songs would make good soundtrack songs, especially in scenes where the main character is driving somewhere. So I decided to make a soundtrack album for a nonexistent movie, using a bunch of typical movie scenes. (I found some help with my list of scenes on one of those survey sites.)

I didn't want my soundtrack album to be a big mish-mash of different music, so I took continuity into consideration when I was planning the list. So with that in mind, this soundtrack features mostly "indie" or "alternative" stuff, and mostly more-or-less contemporary stuff. I may do it again with other criteria, such as an all-80s-alternative list or something. Another rule I made was that I could only use an artist once.

So, here is my list of typical movie scenes, with the song to go along with it. Note: I do not claim that this is the ultimate soundtrack. It is just what I am feeling right now. And I don't really know what this movie would be about . . .
  • Opening Credits -- "July, July" by The Decemberists
  • Waking Up -- "Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" by The Flaming Lips
  • Out on a Date -- "Sun in My Morning" by Saint Etienne
  • Falling in Love -- "Kingdom Come" by Coldplay
  • Breaking Up -- "The Talk" by Erlend Øye
  • Fight Scene -- "Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)" by The Arcade Fire
  • Life is Good -- "All Possibilities" by Badly Drawn Boy
  • Mental Breakdown -- "Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors" by Radiohead
  • Driving -- "7/4 (Shoreline)" by Broken Social Scene
  • Deep Thought -- "Where Do I Start, Where Do I Begin?" by The Chemical Brothers
  • Flashback -- "I'm on Standby" by Grandaddy
  • Partying -- "Bottle Rocket" by The Go! Team
  • Regretting -- "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens
  • Being Alone -- "Transatlanticism" by Death Cab for Cutie
  • Death Scene -- "Checkout Blues" by Eels
  • Closing Credits -- "Worms" by Beth Orton
Coming soon to a theater near you.

7 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

this movie would break my heart. break it in to a million tiny pieces.

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Maya Kuehn posited...

and the party scene would be really manic...

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, this is not exactly the feel-good romantic comedy of the year.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Carson posited...

I would definitely enjoy that movie. Thinking of music with visual representation is always good fun.

Every time I hear a Ben Folds song, I imagine it being used in a musical theater piece based on his music. Similar to what was done with "Momma Mia!" and "Moving Out".

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I haven't seen "Moving Out," but I can't imagine that much Billy Joel music can coexist peacefully with a bad musical.

I often get the same "driving montage" feeling when listening to the beginning of America's "Sister Golden Hair."

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

On a realated but distinctly different note:
While watching the EXCELLENT film Sahara with some friends, I decided that its eclectic mix of early 90s super-hits and weird African tribal/chorale music (thing Lion Kind) would be the perfect soundtrack for my life. I can just imagine the perfect song whenever I need it...

and houle, you listen to America?

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

*(think Lion King)*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home