Sunday, April 23, 2006

"Messala,
This is my birth-day; as this very day
Was Cassius born"

The English graduate students had a large-group "pub crawl" on Friday. We use the word "pub" quite loosely, since there is nothing remotely publike about the bars in DeKalb. We also use the word "crawl" loosely, since we only went to two bars. I had a lot of fun, but it was also an important event for me. I found myself surrounded by people I liked, people with whom I could have great discussions about music and literature and politics, people I am glad to know.

This was important to me because it helped me in my mental transition, having recently decided to stay here for the summer instead of going back to Minnesota. For all the complaining I do that DeKalb is not a very cosmopolitan place, I was very happy to be surrounded by smart, funny, intellectual people.

I can never replace my Minnesota friends, but I am happy to be where I am right now.



In other news, I want to wish a happy 442nd birthday to William Shakespeare, genius of the universe.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

1 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Old Bill Shakespeare. He's a good man.

Aristophenes has nothing on him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home