Sunday, April 02, 2006

April is the cruelest month

Prelude: I would like to replace the phrase "pet peeve" with something else. "Pet peeve" is too cutesy, and it does not do justice to the seriousness of annoying offenses. So I will be replacing "pet peeve" with Individual Annoyance Factor (IAF).


Anyway, today reminds me of one of my IAFs. Why do some people get so freaked out about switching over to Daylight Savings Time or back to Standard Time?

Here is a true story:
Once, while I was working at Brainerd High School, I went to one of my colleagues who was supposed to have typed up a list of some kind for me. I said, "Hey, have you gotten a chance to put that list together yet?"
She responded, "I'm sorry. I keep forgetting. My mind is so scattered. I have not been the same since we had to set the clocks ahead."
(Important note: This took place 3 weeks after we had switched the clocks.)
So I laughed, thinking she was kidding. She assured me she was not. Apparently, her internal clock always takes at least a month to recover. So for two months out of every year, she is functionally disabled.

First of all, we change the clock ONE HOUR, not four days.
Second, it always occurs on a Sunday. So when people whine about losing an hour of sleep, who cares about one hour on a Sunday? Just sleep an extra hour. Sunday is a giant waste of time anyway, so give an hour, take an hour . . .

Your internal clock! Puh!


And this has been The IAF Minute.

17 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

I hope she never travels.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Serenity Now! posited...

John, wait until you have kids and see if one hour on a Sunday makes a difference. Also, Sunday is not just one big waste of time. Again, wait until you have children and see how many things you try to pack into each Sunday (soccer games,sleep, practices, sleep, school functions, sleep, taxes, sleep -- I think you get the idea). Nonetheless, two months to adjust is ridiculous!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

how many school functions are there on a sunday? sorry, that struck me. also the fact that you are insinuating that MR. wanninger can get pregnant. just saying, that was kinda funny to me. but i do give extra credit for having a name from seinfeld.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

how did she insinuate that Mr. Wanninger could get pregnant?

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

my bad, folks... i was at Tay's and left my account on. that wasn't my comment.

Jason Houle

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

Because only women care for their children, Tom, duh. Women are home-makers; men are money-makers.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

Jason knows THAT.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Tay posited...

i think jason meant that when serenity now! said "wait until you have kids" she was saying that wanninger would actually HAVE them... which he can't... we hope...

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Not until the groundbreaking surgery anyway.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I'm pretty sure that "wait until you have kids" is a pretty asexual statement.

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

obviously. i mean, just exchange the word "have" with "own your own" and you get the idea of what it really means.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Jason posited...

Just like in the movie "Junior."

Arnold Schwarzenegger's finest moment.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

"Junior" sucked. I'm ashamed to have seen it.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Tom posited...

i thought it was heart-warming. iv'e never used "heart-warming" in an actual sentance before. the movie sucked. think about that word. heart-warming. heartwarming. it just sounds so dumb after a few seconds of thinking about it. heartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarmingheartwarming.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

If you fall through the ice and are teetering on the edge of death from hypothermia, just play Junior.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

Actually, if I was suffering extreme hypothermia and "Junior" was played I'd probably just give up on life.

...

Tom, I've never used heart-warming in an actual sentance either, but I have used it in many sentENCEs.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

pwned

 

Post a Comment

<< Home