Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Terrorists and other chaps

I have taught many a student about connotation, and how words conjure up ideas not necessarily inherent to their denotations.

So, I came across an item that made me think about the word "folks." Now, in its denotation, folks just means a group of people, but I think that this word has strong connotations as well.

To illustrate: Which of the following does not belong?
  • I met some folks at the bowling alley, and we had a blast.
  • Hey folks! How's it goin'?
  • Some folks just get all the breaks.
  • The bank was held up at gunpoint by some folks in masks.

So, here's a recent quotation from the President:

In Iraq, Afghanistan and across the world, we face dangerous enemies who want to harm our people, folks who want to destroy our way of life.
-- Nampa, Idaho, Aug. 24, 2005

How quaint.

Later this week I'll give my impressions of the new Death Cab album. So that's something to put on your calendars.

4 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger CM posited...

I look forward to that

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

when does it come out?

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

It came out today.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

If you know how to use your way around the internet it came out two weeks ago.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home