Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Hands of the clock give me a round of applause

I had my second class today -- "Teaching Film," which deals with film theory and criticism, along with literary theory. I love it, so far. It is a grad seminar with about 15 people in it. We will have reading assignments and one movie to watch each week, and then during class, we will discuss certain aspects of the film and the theory readings we did. The professor seems very cool; he's from Wales and wrote a book about James Bond movies. Here are the movies we have to (get to) watch for assignments:

• Alien
• Apocalypse Now
• Citizen Kane
• Deconstructing Harry
• Do The Right Thing
• Goldfinger
• Kill Bill vol 1.
• The Last Seduction
• Ma Vie En Rose
• Modern Times
• The Pillow Book
• Psycho

I've seen 8 of them already and loved those. And any class in which we study Kill Bill . . . I mean, come on! It all makes me think I am making the right choice. So today in class, as part of an introduction, we watched clips from various movies and discussed specific aspects, such as framing, dialogue, psychology, etc. So he showed clips from a wide variety of movies: Trainspotting, Shakespeare in Love, Taxi Driver, Lost in Translation, and even Clueless. The class seems pretty bright, and there are quite a few other high school teachers in there as well.

In other news, I am excited because today I got a bumpersticker that I ordered. One of my friends, Jake, produced it. Here is the backstory from his blog, in his words:

The backstory: Driving through Minnesota and Wisconsin this past weekend afforded me ample views not only a lot of BUSH-CHENEY 04 bumper stickers—which, after living in Wicker Park for a while, you begin to forget exist—but also a lot of enormous SUVs with those hideous yellow (or sometimes RW&B) magnetic “Support Our Troops” ribbons. What pisses me off about this whole meme—besides the too-obvious-to-really-be-very-delicious irony of the fact that these magnets are on the SUVs that guzzle the fuel that indirectly caused us to go preemptively start a meaningless war 2.5 years ago—is the ribbons’ syntax, issued as an imperative, an order, an admonishment: SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, practically yelling at me from the aft side of their giant vehicle. If I wasn’t such a wimp, I would politely confront these people when I park alongside them at rest stops and ask them what specifically they’re doing to support our troops, besides spending $1 on a magnet. Where was that magnet manufactured, and under what conditions? Where do the proceeds actually go? Why don’t you do something more substantial to support our troops, like driving a more fuel-efficient car, or donating to veterans’ organizations, or voting for leaders who have a viable exit strategy for the war? Who don’t want to cut the troops’ supplies, salary, health care, and veterans’ benefits? Or, god forbid, why don’t you encourage your own sons and daughters to enlist? After all, recruitment numbers are abysmally low. I wonder why that is.
Sorry about the rant. I’m not raising any points that aren’t already painfully obvious to anyone with a solid grip on reality. The real point of this post is to present the little brainstorm that’s going to net me a shit-ton of bling once I patent and mass-produce it. I’m going to exploit the already-glutted but extremely lucrative snarky-left-wing-bumper-sticker market.
Here’s a photo of the prototype, which I made yesterday and put on my car.
So now I have one, and I love it.
And oh yeah: a good musical evening, with Doves on Conan and Iron & Wine on Carson Daly.

20 Comments:

At 12:27 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

You know, I find that bumper sticker rather clever. It's a valid point. What are most of the people doing to actually support the troops besides the said BSticker. (I thought about abbreviating to simply BS but I figured most who read this would understand regardless). Regardless, a valid point indeed.

Although that is not to say that _______ person isn't actually supporting American troops in _________ in some more concrete fashion. One hopes this would be the case in addition to the sticker.

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

I like it.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

That's good

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Dr Em posited...

that is best homework assignment ever. believe it or not, i actually took an epidemiology course that required us to watch either sliding doors, back to the future, or run lola run. what do these films have in common? the counterfactual. what would have happened if you change one thing. like an experiment, right? the class was on epidemiologic theory and methods. a lot of formulas and stuff, but we did talk about movies and also the rolling stones a lot. oh, grad school.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Dr Em posited...

oh my gosh, my best friend from high school created a bumper sticker and you can buy it on the internet at www.oneangrygirl.net (you have to scroll to the bottom). i have one on my car and i get so many comments, and people laughing and pointing when they are behind me at traffic lights. so, you can make your dream happen and sell the stickers. click here to see a picture of the stickers in action!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

Sounds amazing. I know I wouldn't mind watching Uma kick some butt in class.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

I like Iron and Wine a lot.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yes, Iron & Wine are quite good. Very melodic, ethereal, strummy. Yes, strummy.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger jimaal posited...

i love ma vie en rose numbero uno.

nummero dos, that bumpersticker is awesome.

and thrice, josh mattson likes iron and wine?

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

ooooo
ooooooooo
ooooo ooooo
ooooo ooooo
oooooo oooooo
oooooo oooooo
oooooo oooooo
ooooo ooooo
ooooo ooooo
ooooo ooooo
ooooooooo
ooooooo
ooooooooo
ooooooooooo
oooooo oooooo
oooooo oooooo
oooooo oooooo
ooooo ooooo
oooo oooo
oo oo

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger jimaal posited...

watev. i guess josh is just converting. we all knew he would.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

I'm not. It's just one band.

ps. Ben Folds cover of Tiny Dancer still sucks.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger 88 posited...

dear mr. wanninger-

i was on the airplane and the guy next to me was talking about colleges and things and he goes "i think you would like northern illinois university" and i thought NO WAY WANNINGER!! and then i thought of you.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

Josh is a sellout.

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

John steals his musical taste from others.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yes, by Josh claiming that he likes a completely independent singer/songwriter (Iron & Wine is a person, not a band) that 13 people have heard of, he is clearly a sellout.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

Kali Gardner is a capitalist. John Valesano is a capitalist.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

Selling out is when Aqueduct lets Jaguar use "Hardcore Days and Softcore Nights" in its commercials. I feel (if only very slightly) violated, but then I realize that it gets the band a little money and a little exposure and I start to feel like everything is going to be okay. (I wonder if the guys in the band got free cars?)

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

For similar example see Dandy Warhols and Nissan.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

It is a Postal Service song. The Iron and Wine version is actually originally included on the Postal Service's single of the song, along with a Shins' cover or "We Will Become Silhouettes."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home