Tuesday, August 23, 2005

He's the one they call Dr. Feelgood

An important aspect of everyone's life is the concept of the guilty pleasure. These secret joys can come in the form of food, music, tv shows, or movies (or anything else I suppose.) I am on the subject of guilty pleasures because I just picked up a new one, but more about that later.

When it comes to movies, my guilty pleasures come in the form of action movies. And I am not really sure these fall into the category of guilty pleasures, except that compared to the rest of my favorite movies (Magnolia, Pulp Fiction, American Beauty, etc.) these seem pretty mindless. Mindless, yeah, but fuckin' sweet: Con Air, The Rock, The Bourne Supremacy, Clear and Present Danger, Face/Off, Executive Decision.

Now to the music -- Most of you know where my musical tastes lie: alternative, indie pop, and what I term "literate electronica." But there are some things you may not know. (And one aspect of confessing one's guilty pleasures, is that you cannot really make fun, because you have some just as bad.)
So here goes, a few choice selections of musical tripe that represent my guilty pleasures (and I'm sticking mostly to relatively current music, so as to not open up my George Michael can of worms): "Don't Phunk with My Heart" by the Black Eyed Peas; "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani (especially Eve's rap); "Don't Cha" by the Pussycat Dolls, "1, 2 Step" by Ciara, and a bit older: "Rock Your Body" by Justin Timberlake; "Dirrty" by Christina Aguilera; " and most songs by Pink. Yes, judge me all you want, but I'm still the same person, dammit. (Dabs away tears.)

Now the reason I am on this topic is that I have discovered a new television show that has humor, suspense, a little action, and so much more. Yes, my new guilty pleasure is Tommy Lee Goes to College. Have you seen this shit!?!?!? It is, as the kids say, off the hook. I am riveted to my screen. I mean, the joy of seeing Tommy's pride when he correctly identifies the Turkish Filbert tree in his science class -- priceless. Or the anguish of watching poor Tommy struggle with the marching band . . . Or the way he giggles when he says "hairy bud" . . .

Before you condemn me, check it out.

I've bared my soul. So, feel free to share your guilty pleasures.

13 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Guilty pleasures, huh? Such a juicy topic...

As for me, you know, CoachDub, most of mine. They include George Michael's music, TLC's "A Wedding Story", and the occassional private fancy dress fashion show (where I either go try on dresses at the store by myself, or just put on my fancy dresses at home and strut in front of the mirror).

All of my guilty pleasures bring me joy in ways that not many others understand. Therefore, I will remain anonymous.

Enjoy!
Crazy is as crazy does--a.k.a. MJS

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger "Jackie" posited...

the j tim. shoutout gets two "hollas."

HOLLA HOLLA!!

i think that phrase could probably be categorized as a guilty pleasure.

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

My guilty pleasures:

the Postal Service
kicking kittens
the Green Bay Packers
Hercule Poirot mystery novels
Hannah Burchill

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Ahh yes. There's nothing like a vegan kicking kittens. Many people believe that we don't like to torture or kill animals. That's all well and good -- we just don't fry them up afterwards.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger matt posited...

i noticed that your guilty movie pleasures had three nicolas cage movies. i suppose that i could include nicolas cage as a guilty pleasure of mine as well.

My guilty pleasure would have to be the O.C. as much as i claim to hate it, i still do my best to keep up with it while on tv and sneaking the dvds home.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger CM posited...

my guily pleasures:

-delta blues
-hollaback girrl
-sum 41 and avril
-gossip magazines

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

My guilty pleasures include:

Psapp's "Cosy in the Rocket", it's so catchy it's insane. Insane in the membrane.

Livejournal!!! Livejournal>>>blogger.

The Harry Potter books

Really dumb stupid movies from the 80's.

Not to forget musical groups such as:

Wilson Philip
Peggy Lee
B'ehl
The Rocket Summer
Metric (Who I am totally going to see in concert Oct!)

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Josh posited...

I just hate cats so much.

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

My Guilty Pleasures
- Crocodile Hunter
- Howie Day "Collide"
- Gwen Stefani "Cool"
- Playground Swings
- Wall of Voodoo "Mexican Radio"
- Five
- Wild On! Tara (you can tell her drinking is catching up to her)
- Attending CLC this year

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

By the way, I bought "The Muppet Show: Season 1" on DVD. Best purchase ever!!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Dr Em posited...

last night while my husband was out running 9 miles, i sat on the couch in my sweatpants and watched Tommy Lee Goes to College. it was interesting. i really liked the band storyline. the number of reality TV shows that fall into the guilty pleasure category is way up there. i can't wait for martha stewart's apprentice!

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Rocco posited...

Sweet, sweet DJ Wang. How nice it is to see your odd mind at work on the internets.

I blogged on a similar topic awhile ago.

Click here to see my list of guilty of pleasures.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Erik posited...

I've determined that "Hogan Knows Best" is now my #1 guilty pleasure. I watched that show last night for two hours (4 episodes back-to-back) and I have never been more captivated. Show that didn't captivate me? Gene Simmon's Rock School. So lame.

BTW, Tommy Lee's tutor is pretty hot. I'm just saying...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home