Monday, August 22, 2005

and so it begins . . .

I start classes today -- I am a student again. I have very little worry about this, since I know I am up to the challenge (let's hope it is a challenge), and I am pretty excited about it.

Here are my classes:
  • - "Bibliography and Methods of Research" - This will be the one that isn't too fun, I think. It is required of all grad students, and it teaches how to research things and make bibliographies, I think. Yeah, sounds dull.
  • - "The History of Film Before 1950" - Oh, how I look forward to this class. And not just because the textbook has a scene from Reservoir Dogs on the cover (though that helps).
  • - "Special Topics in Literature: Teaching Film" - Another film class, this one focuses on film theory and methods of film criticism. I am also quite enthusiastic about this class. (Btw, "enthused" is not a real word; don't use it, please), and not just because one of the textbooks has a scene from American Beauty on the cover (though that helps). Another book for this class in Goldfinger. Fascinating.
I have one class today, no classes on Tuesday, two classes on Wednesday, and one on Thursday, and none on Friday. Pretty good schedule, I think.

I have always thought that it is the students that surround you that defines your classroom education, so I will see what happens this afternoon. But soon I will be such a movie snob that no one will want to talk to me.

9 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

A class... on bibliographies?? Have fun with THAT ONE, lol!! (BTW, this is Demetrius)

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger CM posited...

I have always thought that your movie knowledge (which some would call snobbery) was endearing

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger hannah posited...

oh dear christ.

i guess it's a little bit late to warn of the wrath known as erik hukriede. ouch.

the bibliography class sounds dull to me, so for someone who has been teaching that crap for years it must be excruciating. did i spell that right? i don't really care.

and as far as movie snobbery goes, there's a fine line between wisdom and pretention. you'll find the balance, you've always been pretty good at that.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

It's true, Hannah... I am both wise and pretentious.

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

hello w~
considering i am so out of the loop on basically anything and everything that goes on in this wonderful town, where exactly are you going to school and where? i am just curious, cuz no one tells me anything EVER!!!

tata~ aakhus

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Hey Ariel. I'm at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb (about 40 miles west of Chicago). I am getting my master's in Literature and Film, and then we'll see what happens after that.

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger J0hn posited...

It's not so much as wrath, as it is an infectious disease. Not good.

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

ahhh

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Erik posited...

Yeah right. The "infectious disease" is my actual blog and when I leave tens of comments at once. I PROMISE I will refrain from doing so on this blog. Mkay?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home