Monday, August 04, 2008

Mobiles skwrking, mobiles chirping

This weekend I headed down to Indianapolis for two reasons: 

1) to see my nephews and play with them. I had fun with my brother and his family. We played a lot of Legos and spent a large portion of this afternoon in the pool.

2) to see Radiohead.

I have seen Radiohead once before, but that was before anyone knew what they were going to become.  It was 1995, and The Bends had just come out.  But now, 13 years and many amazing albums later, Radiohead live re-entered my life.

Sadly the venue was very strict about a "no cameras" policy, with warnings about confiscations, etc. So I did not risk it and left my camera in my car, only to discover that the venue is all talk and that hundreds in the completely sold-out crowd had cameras. Dammit.

Grizzly Bear put on a good opening performance while the crowd filtered in to the amphitheater. I don't know them too well, but I liked what I heard and will investigate further.

The show was great, of course.  The group was polished and perfected, playing an intriguing mix of their various styles.  In Rainbows was heavily represented, as would be expected, with a sampling from various previous albums.  I will admit that there are a few songs I would have liked to have heard, but the show really highlighted Radiohead's talents.  The concert was most definitely not for the casual Radiohead fan.

One special side treat was the fresh-from-the-workbench pair of tools sitting behind us.  These two guys looked like they should have been at a Larry the Cable Guy concert instead of Radiohead, and they kept yelling nonsense and waiting for "Creep," which must have been the most recent Radiohead song they knew.  At one point, in their drunkenness, these shit sticks actually had an "I love you, man" drunken conversation.  And then one guy turned to the girl next to him, during the second encore, and said, "Do you actually like this music?"  She responded, "Yeah, I love it."  He said, "You have no idea.  You have no idea about music.  She has no idea!  Man, you need to go see Dave!"  At least at a Dave Matthews concert, such douchery would fit right in.

Anyway . . . highlights for me included a great opening punch of "15 Step," "Bodysnatchers," and "All I Need"; a beautifully stark "Videotape"; a loud and  explosive "Just"; a highly energetic "Jigsaw Falling into Place"; an end of-encore "Karma Police"; a perfect "Everything in Is Right Place"; and the full-force assault of "Idioteque."

Oh, and the entire second encore (see below).

Setlist:
01. 15 Step
02. Bodysnatchers
03. There There
04. All I Need
05. Pyramid Song
06. Nude
07. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
08. The Gloaming
09. Climbing Up The Walls
10. Faust Arp
11. Videotape
12. Morning Bell
13. Idioteque
14. Reckoner
15. Everything in its Right Place
16. Just
17. How To Disappear Completely

Encore 1
18. You and Whose Army?
19. Bangers and Mash
20. Exit Music (For A Film)
21. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
22. Karma Police

Encore 2
23. House of Cards
24. The National Anthem
25. Street Spirit
Yes, that is one (perfect) way to end a show.

Here is a YouTube video that someone made at the show during "The National Anthem", and I picked it because it looks like this person was fairly close to where I was sitting, in case you wanted to see what I saw.


6 Comments:

At 4:42 AM, Blogger PBear posited...

What did you think of the stage setup? It looks like you had the same setup that I had when I saw Radiohead at Roskilde, and I thought it looked really cool.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger undulatingorb posited...

Sorry about the douchebags. You should've elbowed them in the face!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Benson posited...

Hot shit.

They played The National Anthem at Lolla too. I don't know about you, but I almost had a seizure. F yeah.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Pelk, I really loved the stage. The metal reflective bars really added a cool touch and complemented the sounds very well.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger modoro posited...

I was hoping to find someone else out there who was at the show in 1995. Didn't you find it a little amusing that the crowd went nuts for "Just" this time around, but 13years ago hardly anyone was paying attention to the show at all? (until they played "Creep" that is.)

I thought that show was great...this show was spectacular.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I know what you are saying. Back then, people knew "Creep" and maybe "Fake Plastic Trees"!
But I must say that I saw them on Chicago in 1995, not in Noblesville, but I am sure their playlist, as an opening act, was pretty much the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home