Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Political Miss Cleo

In the spirit of the Oscars, I am going to predict whom each presidential candidate will chose as his vice presidential running mate.

And probably like the past two years worth of Oscar predictions, I will be wrong.

I have chosen the nominees based on the buzz that I have heard on various news outlets.

John McCain
The nominees are:
Mitt Romney
Mike Huckabee
Tim Pawlenty
Charlie Crist
Carly Fiorina

Fiorina is a joke of a possibility, Huckabee is not the direction McCain needs to lean, and Crist looks too weird.  That leaves Romney and Pawlenty, whom I believe are the two front-runners.  Though Pawlenty provides the youth that McCain needs, the possibility of Pawlenty not actually helping McCain win Minnesota is a liability.  

My prediction: Mitt Romney


Barack Obama
The nominees are:
Hillary Clinton
Joe Biden
Kathleen Sebelius
Evan Bayh
Tim Kaine

A lot of talk has focused on Biden lately, and he has a lot of strengths, but he is also a blowhard.  Clinton may still be a dark horse, but I really do not think so.  I think Obama has figured out that he does not need her in order to win, but if there is a big surprise coming, it may be that he picks her.  But again, I doubt it.  Sebelius is out because I do not believe Obama can alienate Clinton fans by picking an "other woman."  Kaine has very important demographic strengths (from the south, pretty moderate, veteran) that make him appealing, and this might be a safe bet.  Bayh may have the ability to pull in Clinton supporters, and he could deliver the hugely red state of Indiana (though Obama may be able to do this on his own), and this appeals to Obama's whole "redraw the map" strategy.  Bayh is fairly moderate, but a party line follower as well.

My prediction: Evan Bayh

2 Comments:

At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

That's because he's the only one you have met! HA. Me too.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger PBear posited...

Interesting. I don't know about TPaw as a top possibility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeFyAd1sDAs

He's been campaigning for McCain lately like he wants the job, but he seemed pretty sure of himself in the video.

Romney is a pretty good choice, but I don't think McCain and Romney get along that well. Plus, when Romney was campaigning for himself he repeatedly made claims about how McCain wouldn't stand a chance against Obama. Kerry and Edwards managed to come together, but the disparities between both of them aren't nearly as great as McCain and Romney.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home