Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Third Annual Liveblogging the Oscars

Preamble:
The personal buildup to Oscar night has been much lower than in previous years. This is the first time in 6 years that I have not thrown an Oscar party. Back in Brainerd, I almost always threw one, and in DeKalb, I threw one both years that I lived there. This year, an Oscar party just did not work out. But as I am finally on the tail end of a two-week sickness, a party at my house would not have been a good idea anyway.

But as I said, I have been sick, and I spent the last 3 days sleeping and resting, so my mood is not as festive. In addition, because there is no Oscar party, there is no Oscar Party drinking game or friendly revelry, so my liveblogging may be a bit more subdued.

But I am excited about the Oscars, as I loved the films that came out in 2007. I have some definite favorites, and I am hoping to improve on my dismal predicting skills of last year.

Well, the Red Carpet Special is beginning. I'll be back.

7:28 -- I am happy that Jon Stewart is hosting. He did a great job before, so I expect big things. I wonder if anyone will promote any political candidates tonight.

The most memorable part of the official red carpet nonsense was that Regis called Javier Bardem Xavier (and pronounced the X). I guess there is someone older than John McCain. Wait--Ralph Nader is older than John McCain. (And by the way, fuck Ralph Nader.)

7:32 -- If there had been a drinking game being played tonight, we would take a drink with any reference to the Writers' Strike. We'd be drinking for the first 4 minutes.

Some monologue highlights:
  • "Does this town need a hug?" Well said, sir.
  • No one can make Yom Kippur humor like Jon Stewart
  • In reference to Norbit being nominated: "Too often the Academy ignores movies that aren't good."
  • "My stripper name: Olympia Dukakis."
  • "Oscar is 80 this year, which makes him the front-runner for the Republican nomination."
  • "Silver unitards? That can't be all."
A good opening overall. Not great, but good. He seemed a little uncomfortable for some reason, but maybe not.

7:42 -- The first award: Costume
My pick: Sweeney Todd
Winner: Elizabeth
Good. I am off to an 0 and 1 start.

7:47 -- Montage #1. Oh, the montage never gets old. Unless Celine Dion is singing over the top of the montage.

7:52 -- Best Animated Feature
I love Steve Carrell
My prediction: Ratatouille
Winner: Ratatouille

I just watched Ratatouille yesterday and thought I was very entertaining. Anyway, now I am batting .500 -- 1/2

7:56 -- Make-Up
My prediction: La Vie en Rose (Yeah, I went against Norbit.)
Winner: La Vie En Rose.
Woohoo! The make-up in this film was really spectacular, I must say. And as for Katherine Heigl: I like her, but I hate one-shouldered dresses.
Anyway, 2/3.

8:01 -- I know people liked Enchanted, and I like Amy Adams a lot, but this song is terrible. And three songs from that movie are up for the Best Song Oscar?!? "Falling Slowly" from Once had better beat that piece of crap.

8:07 -- Of all the stars in Hollywood, they let The Rock present?
Best Visual Effects
My prediction: Transformers
Winner: The Golden Compass
Hmm . . . Transformers had some sweet special effects. I did not see The Golden Compass, since I'm a good Christian.
2/4

8:10 -- Art Direction
My prediction: Atonement
Winner: Sweeney Todd
I guess Sweeney Todd looked pretty good, but more importantly, I have dropped below .500, dammit. But I thought this would be one of those categories that Atonement lovers would eat up.
2/5

8:13 -- Cate Blanchett played the pitbull in No Country. Excellent, Jon.

8:15 -- Best Supporting Actor
Now, this should be the biggest gimme of the night . . . for one of the best performances in a long time . . . (Holy boobs, Jennifer Hudson.)

Crap, Hal Holbrook might make me tear up again.

My prediction: Javier Bardem
Winner: Javier Bardem

Excellent. That was a very strong category, but of course Bardem won. But come on, Javier. This is America. Speak English, dammit. Where's that wall* when we need it?
(* The wall between Spain and the U.S., I mean)
3/6

8:23 -- Oscar's Salute to Binoculars and Periscopes was a definite highlight.

8:29 -- Best Live Action Short
I just completely guessed on this category, based on the title.
My prediction: Tanghi Argentini
Winner: Le Mozart des Pickpockets
The winner has a pretty cool title. I should have gone with that.
3/7

Best Animated Short
My prediction: Madame Tutli-Putli
Winner: Peter and the Wolf
What a travesty! Clearly, Madame Tutli-Putli is the superior film. Peter and the Wolf just won because of the sympathy vote. Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about.
3/8 -- Shit, I suck.

8:34 -- Best Supporting Actress
I really have no idea who is going to win here. I think my prediction will be wrong, but there were definitely some strong candidates. I need to see I'm Not There.
My prediction (out on a limb): Amy Ryan
Winner: Tilda Swinton
Well, that was an upset, and I lost, but I have to say that Tilda Swinton was quite amazing. I heard that she has never even watched the Oscars before. Interesting.
3/9

8:44 -- Jessica Alba doesn't even look pregnant. She's no Juno.

8:47 -- Best Adapted Screenplay
My prediction: No Country for Old Men
Winner: No Country for Old Men

I love the Coen brothers so much. That's all I have to say.
4/10

8:52 -- I do not think we needed 4 minutes on how the members vote.

8:53 -- First The Rock, and now Miley Cyrus. We are all about the top Hollywood stars tonight.

8:54 -- And now another song from Enchanted. Again, I like the presenter (this time, Kristin Chenoweth), but come on.

9:00 -- "It's tough to get 17 babysitters on Oscar night."

9:01 -- Jonah and Seth as Halle and Dame Judi. Interesting, though not as funny as it should be.
Best Sound Editing
My prediction: The Bourne Ultimatum
Winner: The Bourne Ultimatum
Of course I love No Country and There Will Be Blood the most, but I wanted The Bourne Ultimatum to win something!
5/11

Best Sound Mixing
My prediction: The Bourne Ultimatum
Winner: The Bourne Ultimatum
Excellent. I am back to .500!
6/12

9:08 -- What? Best Actress already? I have to say that I do kind of like seeing all the past winner shown before the acting categories.
Anyway . . . I really do not know who is going to win this. I really liked a lot of the performances this year. But have I mentioned that I always love Julie Christie? But Marion Cotillard was amazing. And Ellen Page . . . Crap! Who will it be?

Best Actress
My prediction: Julie Christie
Winner: Marion Cotillard
Well, I did not win, but as I said, Cotillard's performance was quite a feat.
6/13

But all of these foreigners winning awards (especially French people)! Clearly Hollywood hates America. As my brother just said, "It looks like Michelle Obama over-voted" in the Oscars.

9:18 -- Finally we get to hear good song! I think I need to buy Once. It is such a beautiful film.

9:24 -- It is always good to see Jack, of course, but what is this montage of Best Picture winners doing here already?

9:28 -- Film Editing
My prediction: No Country for Old Men
Winner: The Bourne Ultimatum
Well, I wanted "Roderick Jaynes" to win, since that is a pseudonym for the Coen brothers. But I am glad The Bourne Ultimatum is getting recognized, since action movies don't always win awards.
6/14

9:34 -- OK, we have seen a little more than half of the awards, and I must say that overall this is a fairly boring show tonight. But some exciting races are still coming . . .

9:42 -- Foreign Language Film
My prediction: The Counterfeiters
Winner: The Counterfeiters
The Counterfeiters looks very interesting, and it is the only one I had heard of, so I picked it.
7/15

9:45 -- Another song from Enchanted, sung by John McLaughlin of the McLaughlin Group. Oh, it must be another John McLaughlin.

9:49 -- Best Song
It's not just me, right? "Falling Slowly" needs to win this.
My prediction: "Falling Slowly"
Winner: "Falling Slowly"
8/16

Excellent. I love it when they get this category right, which isn't very often.

And speaking of John Travolta's hair, here is what my brother said they should have said as they announced Travolta:
And now, the star of the movie Spray-Hair, oops, sorry, Hairspray, John Travolta.
9:58 -- I can never decide how I feel about Cameron Diaz. Just so you know.

9:59 -- Cinematography
As I mentioned in my post the other day, the briliant Roger Deakins may cancel himself out since he is nominated twice. We'll see.
My prediction: No Country for Old Men
Winner: There Will Be Blood
Well, I guess the canceling out did happen. But the cinematography in There Will be Blood was glorious, so this is an excellent winner.
8/17

10:01 -- and now for the dead people. I always wish we did not have to hear the audience clapping (or not clapping). It is tacky.

10:09 -- Best Original Score
My prediction: Atonement
Winner: Atonement
As I have mentioned, this award should go to Jonny Greenwood, but rules and such kept him from being nominated. But the music in Atonement was good.
9/18

10:11 -- Best Documentary Short Subject
My prediction: Salim Baba
Winner: Freeheld
Having the troops present the award is nice but does not make up for the fact that French people have been winning all night. Hollywood has a long way to go.
9/19

10:15 -- Documentary Feature
I was tempted to go with Sicko, since it is Michael Moore, but I thought No End in Sight was so much more powerful. We'll see . . .
My prediction: No End in Sight
Winner: Taxi to the Dark Side

Well, that is a surprise. Never heard of it. It looks good though.
9/20

10:25 -- Best Original Screenplay
My prediction: Diablo Cody, Juno
Winner: Diablo Cody, Juno

Again, as I said the other day, I know there is a backlash against the dialogue in Juno, but I really do love the story. Well done.

10/21

10:27 -- Unless there are some huge surprises, I think I should go 3 for 3 in the final awards.

10:30 -- Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis has been robbed of this award before, but I do not think he will be robbed tonight. This is a performance that will go down in history.
My prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis
Winner: Daniel Day-Lewis
Man, they sure do a good job making him look awful in his movies. He looks do different in real life. He is beyond amazing. One of the greatest actors of all time.
11/22

10:39 -- So I fell in love with the Coen brothers when I saw Raising Arizona in middle school. And They have made so many great films, including some of my all-time favorites. So if they win this next award, I will be so happy.

10:42 -- Best Director
My prediction: Joel and Ethan Coen
Winner: Joel and Ethan Coen
That speaks for itself.
12/23

Oh, and I love Frances McDormand.

And here we go . . .

10:45 -- Best Picture
My prediction: No Country for Old Men
Winner: No Country for Old Men

I love it. I am so happy. The academy got it right again.
Final score: 13/24

So, overall, the awards were spread out well. The movies I picked as my favorites this year all got some good awards. The awards show was long and not funny enough, but the results were good.

Thanks for tuning in.

14 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

I really enjoyed the part where he thanked teenage pregnancy, because of the many bloody movies nominated this year.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Angela posited...

Wish I could be watching them with you this year!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

This was the category I was looking forward to most for some reason. I am super happy with the winner.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

Supporting Actor that is.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

god, javier is sex.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Your comment on the golden compass made me laugh out loud.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

man, now it's french. I understood Javier thanks to five years of Spanish class, but this is too much.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

Oscar reaction...

"this is the first win/nomination for Tilda Swinton"

Adam Pelkey: "She didn't get one for Chronicles of Narnia?"

ah levity

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

of the pregnant women in attendance, i think cate blanchett looks the best.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

haha. i love ethan coen.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Me too. He is funny.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger scott w posited...

Thanks for the live blog. Very entertaining.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger J0hn posited...

"Cate Blanchett played the pitbull in No Country."
that was my favorite part.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Man Josh Brolin looked like he could snap James McAvoy over his knee like a shoot of bamboo.

Watching the Oscars with Hannah Burchill and Matt Capelle trading barbs over who was going to win their oscar ballot face-off was pretty hilarious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home