Monday, February 18, 2008

That was just a lie

A few things to mention:

1.
I had a miserable long weekend. On Thursday night, I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst sore throat I have had in years. The act of swallowing was an excruciating affair, and since the sore throat was accompanied by a hullabaloo of post-nasal drip, swallowing could not be helped. So I went to work on Friday morning in miserable pain, happy that we had a teacher in-service day with no students so I would not have to talk. But I could not stand the pain, so I went home early and slept all day.

Afraid that I might have strep, since I have had many students with strep, I went to the doctor on Saturday. I did not have strep, which would have been treatable. Instead my problem was virus-based, which meant it was a hopeless cause. "Let it run its course."

By Sunday morning, my throat was completely red and swollen, accompanied by white spots all over my tonsils. Ah, viral tonsillitis, I love you so. So I slept most of the day on Sunday, ingesting only water, tea, and soup.

Today, I am still in pain, though my throat seems to be on the mend. My anti-inflammatory drugs (that I sometimes take for my back) work fairly well, and hot liquids help the pain.

So I was looking forward to this long holiday weekend (Happy Presidents' Day) but it turned out to be a giant pile of crap.

2.
I had wanted to go see a couple final movies before the Oscars next weekend and before my film list comes out, but I guess I will just have to miss them. My illness did not allow me to go out too much.

At home I did watch La Vie en Rose, which was very well done. Marion Cotillard absolutely deserves her Best Actress nomination for her portrayal of Edith Piaf. This is a bit of a niche film, but I am glad I saw Cotillard's wonderful performance.

I also watched A Mighty Heart, which I recommend for Angelina Jolie's powerful acting and for the sad and intriguing story of the kidnapping of Danny Pearl. This film has a kind of documentary style, and it really does contain some gripping moments. But it is Jolie's movie, and she does a great job.



3.
Moby has a new video out, and he does not shy away fom controversy in this one. . . Please enjoy this clip about a pimp chicken who gets revenge on Colonel Sanders. This video is a bit graphic at times, I should tell you.

"Disco Lies" -- Moby

2 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger Tom posited...

sore throats are the WORST. id rather have the stomach flu. when i had mono in october, i had the worst sore throat of my life for 13 straight days. two weeks with consistent dont-wanna-swallow-cuz-my-tonsils- will-rub-together-and-ill-die-of-pain sore throat. by the end i was gargling salt water 3 times a day and taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours.

thank you word ver. for expressing my feelings in big awkward red italics:

fruck

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I agree. And since it has been a long time since I had a really bad one, I had forgotten.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home