Thursday, July 05, 2007

Goats Wearing Retro Tees and Drinking PBR

As I mentioned last year, DeKalb has spectacular fireworks. And I am not being all holier-than-thou ironic -- they are the best I have ever seen. A+.




I am signing a lease on a new apartment tomorrow. It is in the historic (yet trendy!) Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago, which borders Wicker Park, and together these neighborhoods may represent the center of hipsterdom. So I will be an old geezer.

Here is a brief blurb about Bucktown, from Chicago.com:

The area has many trendy restaurants and upscale shops appealing to young professionals and real estate developers alike. But remnants of a historic and quainter Bucktown are evident in the hundred-year-old buildings and cobblestone paths.

This community boasts more artists than any other area in the Midwest, including an artist colony called Gallery Point. This Chicago neighborhood also hosts the Bucktown Arts Fest, attracting over 30,000 visitors to the area every August.

A thriving nightlife also has provided the area with a higher-than-average ratio of hip bars, clubs, posh restaurants, and shopping opportunities galore.

But most importantly, this:
Popular theory has it that the Chicago neighborhood of Bucktown got its name in the early 1800's as a result of its primarily Polish population's penchant for raising goats, the male of which is called a buck.

6 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

I really hope you plan on raising goats.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

goin to chicago august 3rd + 4th to go see daft punk and go record shopping. i'm excited

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

My mom and my Unitarian aunt want to go with me to some Chicago art museums sometime this year, but I think I should bring my card-carrying, heat-packing Republican dad to your neighborhood. I'm sure he'd love it!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Josh, are you going to Lollapalooza just to see Daft Punk?

Be sure to check out Reckless Records.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Cameron, your dad probably also will love walking around Madison, then.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Josh posited...

well and lcd soundsystem but yes mainly daft punk. don't really think i'll have another opportunity to see em. all those other bands will be around. i have this recording of daft punk playing at last year's coachella and it melts my brain every time i listen to it.

me and sam w. will be doing sick dance moves

i'll definately check out the record store, thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home