Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Small packages

Some friends and I were quite the townies yesterday as we headed over to the park to watch the DeKalb fireworks. I had been told they were surprisingly good, and since this is DeKalb's sesquicentennial, the fireworks were bound to be even more special.

First the people gathered to listen to the symphonic band play all of the patriotic favorites: "You're a Grand Old Flag," "The 1812 Overture," "America the Beautiful," "God Bless America," and "Copacabana."

Yes, the one non-patriotic song they played was "Copacabana."



Then the fireworks started, and I tried to get some pictures, though it is hard to capture fireworks. I got a few though:


And, I have to admit, the fireworks were indeed quite spectacular. They lasted a long time, and there was a nice variety. So I went to the park expecting a nice little display, and I ended up being thoroughly impressed. And the finale was incredible. I have seen fireworks every year of my life, and DeKalb's finale last night was the best I have ever seen. Good work, city. Sesquicentennial it up!

5 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Blogger Hillstorm posited...

Brainerd's were pretty good, (Especially because of our front row view) They lasted about 25 minutes, and there was a smiley face firework. I laughed

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

We had no smiley face, alas.

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

Next year you should come and see Rockford's fireworks show. Outside of a big city (Chicago, D.C., etc.) they are the best!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

What does the prefix "sesqui-" mean?

There were two heart-shaped fireworks as well.

Currently listening to: Russell Malone's rendition of "O Christmas Tree" Getting my jazz fix while celebrating Christmas in July. There should be many more summer holidays, it makes me antsy in the pantsy

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Sesqui- means "one and a half" and cent- means "100"
Sesquicentennial = 150 year anniversary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home