Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Peanuts and Cracker Jacks

My trip to Chicago was fun and fairly successful. I saw a lot of good apartments, and I even found one that I want, so I am filling out the application today. It is in a great location, but I will have more details once it is all finalized.

My cousin and I also had a great time at the Cubs game. First of all, during the afternoon, while we were driving around looking at apartments, Chicago had some kind of Armageddonesque torrential downpour/thunderstorm. Parts of the city had 5 inches of rain in one hour, which meant a lot of flash floods and streets-as-rivers. I saw on the news when I got home that some streets had 5 feet of water, and hundreds of houses were flooded out. Even the dugouts at Wrigley Field were underwater, but fortunately the waters had subsided by the time the game started in the evening.

In addition to the downpour earlier, it was also as humid as it could possibly be. Our seats at the game were pretty good (my dad gave us the tickets -- Thanks, Dad!), since there are not really any bad seats at Wrigley. But there was no wind where we were, so even though it was a night game, everyone was completely drenched with sweat for the entire game.

I love Wrigley Field. I can think of no better place to watch a game. (Certainly not the giant crapbubble that is the Metrodome.)

Anyway, to top it all off, the Cubs extended their winning streak to five games, and it is always more fun when they win, especially when they score lots of runs.


The ominous clouds remained long after the rain had stopped.

Félix Pié , just before one of his two broken bats during the game.

Alfonso Soriano, continuing his streak of awesomeness.

Derek Lee warming up between innings.


And just for fun, here are a couple of pictures that I took on a trip to Wrigley Field when I was 8 years old:

Some Cub playing against some blue team, 1981.

My grandfather at the game with us, 1981.

8 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger Unknown posited...

Fantastic pictures. I went to a game last week with my dad - I'll never tire of Wrigley.

So, six in a row and the Brewers come to town...

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

It absolutely never gets old!

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

I wish the Twins had a stadium 0.000001% as cool as Wrigley. I also wish the Twins had Soriano.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Man, the homer-dome ain't that bad, at least for football.

Motherfucker gets LOUD.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger P "N" K posited...

That's true. It does get loud, which is fun. But Wrigley is still sweet.

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

The blue team = the late great Montreal Expos. I remember that game!

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

I thought maybe it was the Expos, but I was not sure.

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

I thought that was you at Wrigley. I saw you and a blonde...your cousin, I gather... picking up tickets. I called your name and tried to grab your arm as you passed, but alas you were too fast. Great game that night - homers, Rick singing the 7th inning stretch, and the near choke at the end. Welcome back to Chicago. I just moved into my new digs in Lincoln Park a few hours before the game. Home your move to Wicker Park goes better than my move did...
--Lisa from Marion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home