Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"I gave her my heart; she gave me a pen."

My Top 6 Teen Movies of the 80s

6. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
What's not to love? This is one of those movies that I will watch every time I come across it on TV. A true comedy classic. I still think of this film every time I go to the Art Institute in Chicago.

5. Pretty in Pink
What a lovely movie. I really like the characters in Pretty in Pink. I always sort of identified with Duckie (mostly because of his funky clothes), and I also always liked Andie's relationship with her dad. And James Spader plays an awesome creepy preppy. Pretty in Pink also has amazing music, especially the New Order songs.


4. The Breakfast Club
The Breakfast Club holds a special place in my heart. In high school, I was of course very much involved in the drama club, and one of the things that I loved so much about being in drama was the interesting variety of friends I made. I remember at our cast party during my senior year, I had to get up and make a speech, and I referenced The Breakfast Club because of of the way unlikely friendships were forged that would not have been possible if not for drama. So of course I also made the same speech to my drama students when I was leaving Brainerd.

3. Some Kind of Wonderful
Though this is one of John Hughes's lesser known films, it is my favorite of his 80 teen movies. I love the whole "outcast gets the girl" plot, but I also love the great cast of characters. There is just something special about this movie. Plus Mary Stuart Masterson is hot.


2. Say Anything
Sigh. Where to start? Cameron Crowe created a masterpiece of teenage love, and this movie is near the top of all-time best romantic comedies. I love every second of this film, from the hilarious scene when Lloyd meets Diane's dad to the poignant sex scene ("Are you shaking?") to the amazing boombox/"In Your Eyes" scene. Sometimes Say Anything makes me want to hug myself when I watch it. "The world is full of guys. Be a man. Don't be a guy."


1. Heathers
And speaking of masterpieces, Heathers is a true masterpiece of dark comedy. This film is one of the most quotable films of all time (as I have mentioned before), and a must-see for anyone who did not like all the bullshit that came with high school. I can more or less recite the entire movie, and I never get tired of watching it. Of course Winona Ryder and Christian Slater (not to mention director Michael Lehmann) never reached such heights again, but Heathers is a classic. What's your damage, indeed.

4 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous posited...

You couldn't have picked a better quote to title this post. Love it!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

Yeah, it is one of my favorite movie quotes of all time!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

My locker neighbor this year looked like Christian Slater in this movie.

It was a little unsettling.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

and by "this movie" I meant Heathers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home