Thursday, May 31, 2007

"My mother told me to be wary of Fauns."

This week I have watched a few movies that I did not have a chance to see last year, and since they were all up for Oscars, I wanted to see them all (sort of).

The first one I watched was Dreamgirls. I never really wanted to see this in the theater, as you might remember when I was making Oscar predictions, etc. But since it is now on DVD, I felt a little bit obligated to see it. I mean, it did have the most nominations. So I obviously went into it with low expectations, butI actually liked it more than I thought I would. It is certainly no Moulin Rouge or Chicago, but it was enjoyable. I am glad Jennifer Hudson won the Oscar because she was very good. And I am glad Alan Arkin won the Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine because while Eddie Murphy was good, it was not an Oscar-worthy performance, in my opinion.

Next, I saw Volver, the Spanish movie directed by Pedro Almodóvar. This film is beautifully made and wonderfully acted. The story is charming and quirky. I have never really thought Penelope Cruz was a superb actress, but when she acts in Spanish, she is excellent. She deserved the Oscar nomination, and this movie would have made my end-of-the-year list.


Finally, I just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth, which I inexplicably missed while it was in the theater. This one definitely would have been high on my 2006 list. What a beautiful, haunting, and wonderful movie. I see now why it won the Oscars it won, and I am just sad that it took me so long to see it.

5 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger sherlock posited...

I loved Pan's Labyrinth, though I did not at all expect the sudden spurts of violence.

Dreamgirls was played on one of my flights to Puerto Rico over Spring Break, so of course I went to sleep instead.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger constant_k posited...

Yeah, I was gonna ask--is Pan's Labyrinth really that violent? How violent is it? Like, Sin City level, or less?

I ask because my mom mentioned how violent it was the other day, and I hadn't expected that.

I don't mind a little physical abuse in my movies, but it's really a dealbreaker for my momma. Although she could deal with the Matrix because it was so sweet.

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger CoachDub posited...

It is not constantly violent, but there are intermittent scenes of uber-violence. There are some extremely graphic and brutal beatings, but the violent scenes don't last very long.

 
At 1:51 AM, Blogger sherlock posited...

I think my mom, for whom violence is also a dealbreaker, would describe some scenes as "hyperviolent;" and without filters/animated blood like Sin City, the shorter scenes feel far more real than a Tarantino. NO WAY would she want me watching it if she had watched it first, despite the awards.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Vinnie-Senza posited...

The first violent scene, involving a bottle and some dead bunnies... ugh. That was crazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home